Noise from the turbo

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
LOL LOL LOL

I didn't think I was pushing to hard while coming back with the trailer all loaded but....

I try to stay under 1300°

Which I do for the most part... I have only a ew times looked over and seen that I was above 1300° ..

So now I am trying to figure out what happened... both brass and copper have a melting point above 1600° ... I know I was never near that number... so no matter what I should not have been able to melt the plug... the hole that I plugged was on the bottom of the EBPV so it could have fallen out as everything expanded and contracted... but I reused the c-clip that was used to retain the original shaft...

I have been looking to see what the expansion rate of Cast Iron and steel are and also for copper...

After looking back and checking melting points, I can't figure out why I would have lost the plug....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly a combination of pressure and the temps. And are yiou sure what grade of copper you had in that freeze plug?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I'm am not certain at all on the grade of copper... but even a copper mix has a pretty high melting point.

I bought the plug at Vato-zone... I want to go with only Stainless Steel now... the problem is finding someone that has them... no one around here seems to carry them...

There was a sleeve that the shaft sat in that I had puched out... I am going to try and grind it down to make it a little shorter so that I can have the sleeve and the plug and still use the c-clip.. at least that way there is no way it can go in or out.

What really sucks is that I have to drive around my sons 98 explorer...

:D