Noise from the turbo

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Well a while back I gutted my EBPValve..

The thread about it is around here somewhere....

Anyways, I get back home from Vegas this weekend and go to drive my truck and there seems to be a new noise from the motor area...

It sounds or should I say "IS" the turbo whistling... but much more noticeable than before... It wasn't doing this after I did the EBPV... Today is seems to be worse and somewhat of a flutter.

Now I mentioned the EBPV but I was also having a problem with the Intercooler boots... They started popping off anytime I hit over 25psi... so I replaced those the weekend before last... actually only the two upper ones...

I am going to check all the bolts for the EBPV and see if I have a leak in one of my lower intercooler boots.... but can you guys think of anything else I should check that might be causing me the problem...??

BTW the noise seems to be coming from the airr filter area more than the other side of the engine area... and will only make the noise under load...

one last thing... when I gutted the EBPV, they only had a Brass/copper looking plug that would fit... so that is what I got... do you think it is up to the heat that the turbo can get to.??

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Well I think I found my problem...

I had my boy once again try to help me and it seemed to him the noise was coming from the Y-pipe area... So I went looking and in the daylight I can see oil blowby residue by the one intercooler pipe that I replaced... it looks as though I have a leak around it...

I think I need to do the CCV mod...

When I get home tonight I will try cleaning it all up and trying the hairspray trick to get them intercooler pipes to hold and not leak.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take them off and clean the heck out of them. I think I used brake cleaner or alcohol.

Once you clean them, set them in natural sunlight for as many hours as you can it really dries them out.
Get yourself some better clamps, too.

I tried cleaning them quickly, and reattaching them with little success. Once I did it and let them dry thoroughly and replaced the clamps, they have not blown off even with 40lbs of boost.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Duke,

Thanks for the reply...

That is the one thing I have never done is taken the time to let them dry out.... just a quick wipe down with some alcohol and right back on...

I will give it a try...

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It made all the difference with mine. get them squeaky clean. Use some kind of degreaser, like purple, then finish with alcohol. the dry them for hours in the sun.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Duke,

Well I cleaned them up real good and let them sit for about an hour... that's all the sunlight I had...

Put them back on using some hairspray... It seems to work real well... they went on tighter than ever before without the clamps squeezing the boots off of the pipes...

BUT....

When I was done instead of going out and testing it, I let it sit so the hairspray could dry good and well... and I went inside to tackle the washing machine.... it won't spin the clothes anymore... I thinks its a bad belt...

So this morning I get back in and the noise is still there ... I wa sso certain that it was the boots that I never checked the EBPV bolts... I guess I will get to those tonight...

I was able to get a hand under the area that I put the freeze plug in when I gutted it and there no air escaping from it... so that saves me from having to take the whole thing apart again. :D

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at least you got the intercooler boots on so they'll never pop-off again! :)

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Amen to that brother!!!!

Hopefully it's just some bolts backing off or something.. I guess I will need to use a different or better thread lock if they have such a thing to work with the hot ol' turbo.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do!

I got some at a hydraulics/hose/fittings shop near me. I think it was good up to 1300-1500 degrees.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
All right guys...

Any other ideas???

I pulled the boots off and cleaned them and they are perfect....
I checked the bolts on the EBPV, and they are as tight as when I took it off originally...

This noise is getting worse... There is also now a flutter... the faster I go the worse it gets...

I am going to order all new intercooler hoses and turbo boots, then take everything apart, clean everything, then reassemble...

I was thinking of making a turbo leak tester and try a leak down test... I remeber someone saying that if you have even a small leak that with a tester you can find it right away...

I was able to borrow a buddies Snap On code reader tool... I did an injector buzz test and checked the glow plugs just for good measure and both came back without any problems... The onyl codes in there were the ICP out of bounds and something about the map sensor and boost... which I had a had a good idea about anyways :D

This noise is driving me nuts...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stupid question maybe, but have you checked out the turbo for end play? Maybe your turbo is getting near the end of its life.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
BTW the noise seems to be coming from the airr filter area more than the other side of the engine area... and will only make the noise under load...

Still have the stock air filter box?

Any chance of the cover distorting under load and causing the noise?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I finally figured it out.!!

I had to leave to Mexico for a meeting Fri-Sun but before I left Thursday I pulled the whole thing apart... the fresh air intake tubes... intercooler tubes... Y-pipe...

My thought was that the tubes going into the heads were what was leaking... one of them had slipped down a bit and I thought it was the problem... Well after pulling everything apart I still could not find a hole or where it was making noise from...

So remembering after all this work about the EBPV I go and check it... well guess what??? ... those copper freeze plugs are no good to use on the turbo... I totally melted it away... gone..... nada.... nothing....

I ordered new tubes for everything from the intercooler to the intake manifold. I am still trying to find a parts store with stainless steel freeze plugs in the size I need... But I should be as good as new when I get it back together...

I also checked everything while I have it open... Exhaust side for wear and play, same thing on intake... Both look and feel just fine... Which is sort of a let down... I was kind of hoping for something loose so I could justify buying myself a BB turbo... :D

Thanks for all your input... It just required a little more work on my part to figure things out.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So remembering after all this work about the EBPV I go and check it... well guess what??? ... those copper freeze plugs are no good to use on the turbo... I totally melted it away... gone..... nada.... nothing....

Wow, maybe youre onto something there DM. Who needs a pyro, just get copper plugs for your turbo, when the egts get too high youre instantly alerted via the turbo noise to back out of her just a hair LOL

Good find, Im glad you found the problem and it wasnt too serious.