No wastegate..turned up fuel...

445TDF-series

Reaction score
Well I was tired of being so slow on hills so today I turned the pump up 4 turns on the allen wrench screw, and disconnected the wastegate just to see 'what she would do.' Just wondering... WOW. Smoked pitch black smoke the didn't clear up with boost and she hauled big time... Part throttle the smoke wasn't bad, but if I laid into it...well... couldn't see the person behind me.... My question is, how long will the head gaskets last with that kind of fuel and boost?? And most important....how can I get her to make CLEAN little smoke power like it did??
first gear pulled ok, second better, then third pulling higher rpms once the boost caught up, it actually threw me back in the seat hard.... Pyro didn't climb too fast... maxed at 1000...heck made it to the speed limit before hte pryo hit 1,000....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'd try turning it down 1-2 flats. You don't need to be wasting that precious fuel.

How old is the fuel system?

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
1000 degrees is low, you can safely go to 1250.

How much boost are you seeing. The head gaskets should be fine to 14 psi based upon what I am seeing. I see 14 psi on long hills with the propane on and have run a lot of miles with not a problem.

Jim

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's right about the 1250, but that's only if everything is perfect...pyro is 100% accurate...you get the idea. I'd like to leave some fudge factor between "safe" and "meltdown"

445TDF-series

Reaction score
the ip and injectors are all original it looks like at over 200k on them. I turned it down 2 half turns of the allen and it smokes a lot less and it decent.... pyro remains about the same....

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I am going to do this soon, just to clear this up, I have been hearing both turns and flats thrown around and I am a little confused.

When you turn the screw in (clock-wise) its only 2 or 3 flats as in 1/2 turn? or is it 2 or 3 full turns in? :confused:

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's right about the 1250, but that's only if everything is perfect...pyro is 100% accurate...you get the idea. I'd like to leave some fudge factor between "safe" and "meltdown"

AND... you gotta know where you measure the temeprature at, can make a difference of a couple hundred degrees.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, you are right, I was assuming we were talking about "hot side" pre turbo EGTs, you can lower that maximum # to 900 or so for cool side temps, and that might be a little high.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
84TD its flats since it takes an allen wrench to do it we measure it in flats or one side of the allen wrench so 6 flats would be one full turn