No Start Friday!

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta love no-start Fridays - right? Wrong! Lol.
This morning I tried to start the truck, ignition on, wait to start light on... all good so far. light goes off, starter on. It turns once, and power fails. No power to starter, no power to dash. No power to horn. None of the fuses are blown.
Fixing to take the batteries off, and get them tested individually. :backoff :confused::mad:cookoo

I tested all fuses at this point, in-cabin, and outside of cabin. Starter-Relay?

Suggestions where to look next?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd start by checking the battery connection and battery voltage.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely a positive or ground connection.
all 5 fired up for me today ;Sweet

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..and she is fixed. the positive terminals were so badly oxidized, not even diet coke helped.. so i switched to beer, and by the time i downed a Michelob, she was once again purring like a 7.3 Liter kitten she is. Thanks all.

Which reminds me, I need new positive leads. The factory lead is starting to crack, and I don't think it will last couple of years longer!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Check your battery connections and then double check them. Check the connections on the fender mounted relay. Check ground connections. Check connections on starter.

Bruiser did this a lot before I parked her. It was due to corroded ground cables putting a lot of strain on the fender mounted relay causing it to melt just enough to warp. Always had to let it cool down and actuate the relay manually with a screwdriver (be careful doing that).

Edit: Didn't see that last post. A good mod is to get some heavy, coated weld cable and make new ground cables. Or use those giant fancy ones that the ricer kids use for their "way-to-big-for-that-car" thumpity sound systems. I got lucky and someone did that to the Enterprise D before I bought it. Same goes for the positive cables. Bruiser got 2 gauge during the 3G alternator swap, IIRC.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and no thread is complete without an obligatory picture...

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall someone on ebay was making and selling some great battery cables. Sadly I can't recall the name.

inked469

Reaction score
I had that problem too. Ordered new cables from custom battery cables with milspec ends and ring terminals. Now I'm running 31 series batteries....... highly suggest them!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall someone on ebay was making and selling some great battery cables. Sadly I can't recall the name.

the ones on fleabay are incorrect. they will work.
but not long enough for OE routing on the core support.
i will go to a custom shop when i do it again.

or buy the lugs and do it myself.

inked469

Reaction score
Also make sure to use the elbow chaffing gear or else you'll be buying new ones quite soon. The cable will rub very quickly. If you do make them your self some people will say welding cable. I personally would stay away as its not rated to withstand petroleum products. Of course use your own best judgement!