No start condition

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well truck is a 94 non turbo 7.3 IDI , and i have had previous starting problems before , but truck always started right up with a little shot of either . The truck has sat for about 6 months and i went out to try to start her last week and the batteries were bad . replaced them with new ones , tried to start her again and found the starter was bad . just finished putting in a new DB starter and she spins over good but no start . had a friend with me so we gave her a little shot of either but no go . Didn't see any smoke out the tail pipe so i crack the fuel supply line to the filter . getting fuel there . then cracked the line at the back of the injector pump , had fuel there . Cracked an injector line and no fuel . Truck did run when i parked it where it's at now . What should i start checking on the injector pump to see if it's an electrical problem at the pump or if it's the pump itself .

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking it could be the fuel shutoff solenoid but wasn't sure how to check it . Can they just go bad setting ? Does anyone have a schematic of the IP and show where to put power to ?

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok after some researching on the FSS i am pretty sure it's going to be the problem when i run 12v jumper wire from the battery tomorrow . I replaced the batteries in the truck because the last time i worked on it i inadvertently left the key in the run position . I have read that the FSS needs to have fuel running through it to cool it and when it is powered up for too long it overheats and ruins it . Does anyone have a writeup on how to change it ? Perhaps is there a youtube video ?

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright no longer thinking it's the FSS . Ran a junper wire to the FSS and herd a good loud click every time i touch the FSS to power . I am leaning towards the lift pump now . After alot of cranking i pushed in on the schrader valve at the fuel filter and got just a tiny bit of air out of it , no fuel . I have read that there should be a stream of diesel come out after cranking . Going to look in to getting rid of the mechanical pump and go with an electric pump . I did pull the fuel filter off and dumped it out to make sure it wasn't full of gunk or anything , filled it with fresh diesel and reinstalled it Any other ideas ? or am i on the right track . and i don't have a fuel pressure gauge to check pressure .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes your doing the right thing. Has the oil level gained any... If it has its time to change the oil and the lift pump because the diaphram is leaking diesel directly into the oil. That will ruin the engine because the oil gets diluted with faw fuel thinning it out. Installing an electric lift pump is a great idea. PM genlightning for the best pump around. Or do the cheap electric pump and install a used holley red but... It will not last as long as the Carrier pumps that we all are useing from genlightning... They are a supurb pump. They will suck fuel a mile... Next time to see a semi trailer with the refer up front high on the nose look where it sucks diesel from... Its back down under the trailer near the spare tire and chains... Thats a powerful pump that can draw fuel up that far.. Its about a 12 ft lift...

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have read you mind . lol . i just pm'ed him about the pump . everything i have read about that pump is positive and i like the fact that it has the filter on the bottom of the pump .

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright new update , just finished installing the new Carrier pump i got from genlightning and new fuel line from the tank to the new pump . First i filled the fuel line with fuel and installed it on the new pump , filled the filter housing on the pump and turned the key on and bled air on the filter housing at the schrader valve . Plenty of fuel coming out of the schrader valve but the truck will not start , no smoke out the tail pipe so we cracked open an injector line and wrapped a rag around it , cranked the engine of couple of times (15-20 seconds each) to make sure any trapped air was out of the lines and still no fuel on the rag . Next i cracked the fuel line at the back of the injection pump and turned the key to run position and had fuel coming out the line , so i have fuel to the pump . made a coulple of vids on checking the FSS
You must be registered for see images attach
Don't know why i stil am not getting fuel to the injectors , Any ideas ?

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thought i had both vids on the previous post but i guess not , hear's the other

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I thought that Either was a major NONO on these engines. Something about it knocking the pre cups out?

If you disable your glowplug system, either is ok. If either hits a hot GP during the intake stroke, then it can blow the pre-cup out, bend a rod, or any number of fun things.

wjamesm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little more reading on the net about a possible solution to the problem . I just went our and checked to see if there was fuel coming out of the return line from the pump . pulled the return line off by the injector and put it in a cut-off soda bottle as my help had already left so it was just me . cranked for 10 seconds and had 1 1/2" to 2" of fuel in the bottle and i could see where fuel came out of the return at the injector and spilled on the intake . Found this on the net and is the reason i checked the return flow http://www.dieselcare.us/files/Download/db2_NOSTART.pdf . When we were cranking we only had 1 injector line cracked , according to the link all the injector lines need to be bled , they say to crack all 8 lines and crank the truck till fuel starts to come out , has anybody bled lines like this and what was your procedure ?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Normally unless you pulled the lines/pump off for some reasson you dont have to bleed the lines but to bleed them all you have to do is crack all 8 lines and crank the engine for ~10sec (let starter rest for a while after that) if you dont put a rag under the lines it can be hard to see if fuel is actully coming out or not