No oil pressure round three. Resolution found!

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a manufacturing "artifact", I found something similar in a Baldwin filter before I screwed it onto a scraper, just something that was left over from making either that filter, or one on a nearby line that fell/got put in there. I called our distributor about it and they said "take it out".....no **** lol. Always turn your filters upside down before installing them.

I'll be sure to do a visual check and invert and shake every filter from now on!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I also check them for threads. We had a customer bring in his own oil and filter. After I filled the filter, I couldn't get it to screw onto the oil cooler. I finally took it back out from underneath the truck and there were no threads inside the big hole to screw the filter on. I found one at Wal-Mart for a gas engine that had no threads inside it too. Now I open the box right there inside whichever store I'm buying a filter in and check for that too.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also check them for threads. We had a customer bring in his own oil and filter. After I filled the filter, I couldn't get it to screw onto the oil cooler. I finally took it back out from underneath the truck and there were no threads inside the big hole to screw the filter on. I found one at Wal-Mart for a gas engine that had no threads inside it too. Now I open the box right there inside whichever store I'm buying a filter in and check for that too.
I did an oil change on the family van when I was 13. new filter on, oiled it up and fired it up and went to put it in the carport. When I got out there was a stream of oil following the van from where I had changed the oil.
My dad assumed I had cross threaded the filter. I felt like ****. When we got it back on the ramps and took the filter off we found that it had been threaded from the factory crooked.
I was pretty stoked that I had not boogered up the threads on the filter base.
IRRC it was a motorcraft filter, but I might be wrong. That was 30 years ago.

Stuart Perkins

Reaction score
In a way it is understandable that mass manufacturing will result in some "defects" reaching the end customer. In another way, it is inexcusable. Whatever happened to "quality"?

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
well, after a long battle, the issue has been found. To those who said a blockage in the galley, you were right! No idea what it is, or where it came from, but this was found in the main oil galley pretty much right where it intersects with the feed for the tappet galley. Took some persuasion to get it out. It is hard plastic, about 1.5 inches long. I can unfold it and fount it to be cylindrical in shape.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
ok, after ALOT of thinking, and having to remember back over a month ago when i installed this engine, i figured out what the plastic is. every mechanic has a big screw up and this was mine. i need to install "remove before flight" tags on all my plugs and caps.......

yes, it is a plastic plug. when we resealed the oil pan, i removed the oil filter to make it easier to access the bolts. well since it was hanging from the crane still, it was dripping out the filter header. so i put a plug INSIDE the threaded portion of the header. somehow this plug must of got spun sideways and let pressure through for the test drive but once the engine got hot and the plastic became maliable it got pushed into the galley.

it sucks but atleast i figured it out, the engine survived, and even after all the trouble, the owner DID give me some more cash to cover the 160 bucks i had into it the second time to reseal it again, and some to cover my time. now granted i had around 15-20 hours into trying to figure out the issue, from replacing the oil cooler, to doing the oil pump in the truck, to completly removing the engine and checking everything.

all ends well, the 17 year old kid is happy to have his truck back and i am happy to have my bay back.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I installed the pan, he put the filter on. Never crossed my mind. One reason I enjoy working by myself. I get to distracted

I hear you there! I have a hard enough time remembering what I'M doing. Let alone anything someone else is doing!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for being the type of guy to admit what had happened. No flame suit needed either.We all learn by mistakes sometimes.
As for purchasing a new filter I had one that some fool removed the rubber gasket from. SOOOOO... EVERY filter I purchase I remove from the box just to check if the gasket is really there. Once burned.. Twice learned...

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow what a hunting trip! After lurking your other threads, I knew you'd find it!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac