No fuel to the injectors.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reinstall cover CORRECTLY!! - This means the little lever has to hook on the valve inside while you close it, to be able to properly shut off the fuel, or you will have a RUNAWAY when you start the engine. If you are not 100% sure that its correct, have your air cleaner off and a big clean towel handy when you start the engine, to cover the intake if there's a runaway. Watch a youtube video, there is one specifically for the metering valve.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I mean why didn't you have fuel to the injectors and in the pump?

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran out of fuel or the mechanical pump when bad. I changed to an electric pump from my other truck. I had a time getting fuel primed. I should have it running tomorrow.

trancas

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the place to post, but I put my IP cover on incorrectly and it RAN AWAY! Full bore, coal out the pipe and probably 5 grand for about 5 + seconds. Seemed like an eternity and I was helpless. It then came way down to about 2 grand at which point I ran and got big forceps and pinched hose from frame to lift pump. Thing previously was running very weak but smooth. All new hoses, orings in tank and tank valve connectors, filter head etc. It would light up immediately even after sitting for days so I was sure no air was getting in. 7psi and lots of volume at Schrader valve. So I was about ready to condemn the IP but I decided to pull cover to look for debris. It's when I put the cover back on, that I didn't place lever properly and caused runaway. So....after I put cover on properly, it was very hard to start and ran like absolute crap! I didn't sleep that night because I figured I'd at least bent 16 valves if not worse. Next morning I decided to check return line running from IP to front injector cap. Bits of rubber from the line were plugging the tiny hole in the injector cap, causing return pressure from pump to go too high!! It was because I had forced that little 1/4" line over a 5/16" fitting PO must put on IP, and it shaved the inside of the hose, causing rubber debris.
So now it runs just fine but here's my big question......
How well does the 7.3 N/A 1993 engine tolerate a blast to 5000+ RPM for over 5 seconds? Seems fine no extra noises.
Does it live?
Thanks;
Peter

trancas

Reaction score
BTW, it was the debris in the return line that must have saved it from running away till it blew up, so it was a mixed blessing. If only I had inspected that hose first, I would have never condemned the IP and opened it up in the first place....stupid me.

chickenpot

Reaction score
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't putting the cover on incorrectly and causing a "runaway" situation really just be a "full throttle" situation? cause the metering valve can only open so far right? just wondering cause if that's the case, the pump still cant go past it's governed redline.

Is it possible for a pump to defeat it's governer by "putting the cover on wrong"?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sounds like a wide open throttle situation to me. Runaway usually means the combustion is burning oil, literally eating itself to distruction.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Sounds like a wide open throttle situation to me. Runaway usually means the combustion is burning oil, literally eating itself to distruction.
Well several yrs ago I had several injection pumps that I had accumulated over time.
I had my '94 factory turboed engine mounted still in the donor truck frame. I was checking & testing the engine before I stuck it in Bessie, my '90 F350.
Had electric pump rigged up, pulling fuel from 5gal jug, gauges rigged up, radiator, no turbo on it, straight exhaust rigged, etc etc.

Anyway I decided to ck out all those injection pumps I had. 4 of them were good running so I marked them & stuck them back for spares. Bunch if then didn't run/sound so good so I marked & stuck them in a different corner.
During checking & running all those pumps I had 3-4 that ran away really wild & hi screaming. Things got really interesting while i ran around trying to get them shut down. Yanking wires, pulling hose out of fuel can, yelling & screaming at all those fine folks whose name started with a B or S or F.......(BTW I was there by myself)

Anyway my point, I finally got that turbo engine stuck in Bessie & bout 100K on her since. Runaway pumps didn't hurt the engine, just got me really excited during all the action & noise.

trancas

Reaction score
chickenpot, that's what I was hoping and maybe 3500rpm just sounded like 5. It was quite a surprise to reach in the window, turn the key, and get that result! Got lots of coal and I have a Dynomax muffler (which I'm replacing too loud).
I thought I was watching the Pulls at the County Fair!

Nero, yes it would be a WOT, I guess and not a Runaway in the crankcase oil situation. I remember the VW IDIs did that through crankcase vent till they were recalled for that.

ttman4, thanks for sharing your experience. I feel better now.

Truck's a 1990 F350 4x4 that PO transplanted a 93 from an ambulance.
My assumption is that it's probably been floored most of its life racing to the scene with 9,000 lbs of truck behind it. Probably always had it's oil changes on time, though.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't putting the cover on incorrectly and causing a "runaway" situation really just be a "full throttle" situation? cause the metering valve can only open so far right? just wondering cause if that's the case, the pump still cant go past it's governed redline.

Is it possible for a pump to defeat it's governer by "putting the cover on wrong"?
No I don't think so. Placing that lever wrong I think locks the metering valve wide open, so the engine will essentially rev out uncontrolled. Fortunately, these pumps don't have a flat fuel curve, so as rpm increases, their fuel delivery capacity drops. Depending on the engine, you might hit that spot first, or you might float the valves killing power, or you might do both. But with the metering valve blocked open, the governor's setting and actions are irrelevant to what's happening, and it will definitely rev higher then your normal redline RPM.

trancas

Reaction score
Yep, I just watched the video about the IP and that's definable the case!
Sheesh! Poor motor, I've been taking it easy on it and then I overthink something, take apart pump, when it was simply my fault for forcing the rubber line on the fitting!
For those that, like me, think the Roosamaster is magic, here's the video about it:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media