No fuel to the injectors.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No fuel to the injectors. Pulled top cover from IP and no fuel in bowl. Good fuel pressure to the Filter and IP. Have good electrical to the IP

Any suggestions?

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the pump is good? If the shaft has snapped the transfer pump won't be turning and pushing fuel through the pump, leaving the bowl dry.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric fuel pump has pressure to the IP. Are you talking about a shaft inside the IP? I've never had one apart.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
How are you testing the pressure.on the lift pump? I am assuming you pulled the line off to see if it was pumping at all?

Rock

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric fuel pump has pressure to the IP. Are you talking about a shaft inside the IP? I've never had one apart.
Yes. lift pump only pushes pressure to the transfer pump. It's the transfer pumps job to bring it into the IP. With lift pump pushing fuel to the transfer pump and no fuel inside the IP after cranking a bunch, I'd say the transfer pump isn't turning.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You said you have power to the IP, but does the fuel shutoff actually click if you have the key turned and you connect/disconnect the connector?

I had to replace the connector on my f250 years ago. A short bit of scrap wire spliced to the original wire with a blade connector fixed it. I did put electrical tape over the splice after the pic was taken.

You must be registered for see images attach

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you have power to the IP, but does the fuel shutoff actually click if you have the key turned and you connect/disconnect the connector?

I had to replace the connector on my f250 years ago. A short bit of scrap wire spliced to the original wire with a blade connector fixed it. I did put electrical tape over the splice after the pic was taken.

Thanks, I will check that wire. Yes the shut off does click.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best talk to wes or russ or another pump rebuilder to be sure. But afaik even with an inoperative fss the transfer pump will still be moving fuel and filling the bowl so long as the pump/shaft is turning. If you have fuel pressure to it, cranked it for a bit, and the bowl is still dry, I'd be pretty suspect of a broken shaft. Especially if it's an unknown pump.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The PO replacement IP from Pensacola Diesel.
Well there's most likely your problem. From what I know, Mel wouldn't accept a core pump with a broken driveshaft. I watched a video that he made about it. The others could be the same way too.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the injectors primed. But, when it starts, it's a run away engine. Runs at high RPM and will not shut off with the ignition switch at off. I have to disconnect the electric pump and let run out of fuel.
I had the IP cover off. Could I have not installed the cover back correctly?

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reinstall cover CORRECTLY!! - This means the little lever has to hook on the valve inside while you close it, to be able to properly shut off the fuel, or you will have a RUNAWAY when you start the engine. If you are not 100% sure that its correct, have your air cleaner off and a big clean towel handy when you start the engine, to cover the intake if there's a runaway. Watch a youtube video, there is one specifically for the metering valve.