newguy here

R.w

Reaction score
First off i want to say this is a nice forum. I have been checking it out for a while and i am impressed. I have always been a ford guy , I have a 97 ford f250 4x4 with a 460 now and i want to keep it but i need a work truck also . I found a 89 ford f250 4x4 diesel with a 5 speed and 133000 miles on it . It has a rebuilt trans and new cluch and pressure plate . What should i look at on this truck . I have a fair amount of knowlede of cars and trucks but havent done much to diesels . Thanks in advance for the help i do appreciate it ,Ryan.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site.;Sweet
if you haven't bought the truck yet, here's a couple of things to check before you buy.
1)blowby. when the motor is warmed up, pull the oil filler cap and fire it up. observe the amount of smoke coming out the filler neck. does it go away when you bring the rpm's off idle. if there is a massive amount of smoke and it doesn't clear up, you have a problem. keep in mind, this is not a perfect test, it's better than going in totally blind.
2)get under the truck and check where the head meets the block at the back of the motor. if it's dry, that's great. if there is a presence of moisture in the form of oil, that's normal. if there is a presence of oil and coolant, that's not good.
3)with the warmed up motor running, squeeze the top radiator hose. hard a a rock? not good. squishy? good.
this is what I look for when I buy a truck. often, how picky I am depends on how much the asking price is and what I am looking for in the truck.
good luck!;Sweet
if you really feel like getting in the pool of piranhas, we're getting together on sunday the 28th of this month, for a BBQ 2.5hrs south of you, within spitting distance from San Jose airport. check out the post in the events and get-togethers section;Sweet

85f250dually

Reaction score
first off welcome to oilburners. whenever i go look at a truck i look for signs of oil leaking and see how it fires up after having set for 8 or more hrs. check the coolant to make sure its not straight water. and then look for smoke while running and i go from there just listening to see if anything sounds wrong. hope that helps
Jeff

gatorman21218

Reaction score
check the coolant for SCAs. go to the tech articles to learn more but cavitation is a real big problem not too many guys know about (well at least outside of oil burners!!) look for any signs of ether usage (a can under the seat for example). IDIs take to ether like a Wisconsin nudist colony take to mosquito season.

R.w

Reaction score
thanks everyone , I am sopposed to go look at it tonight but the guy hasent sent me the pics i asked for. He is asking 3000 for it but it look really clean with the exception of the clear coat peeling off ,and i really want a 5 speed and it seems like everyone i see is beat . Thanks again for the advice.

R.w

Reaction score
:slythanks again guys ,I just talked to the guy and i will go in the morning to take a look . He is asking 3000 but he told me he found a subaru he wanted and needs the money to put down and would take 2500 cash . So i am hooking up the trailer in the morning and taking a drive .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.... Don't let the fact that you hauled a trialer make you buy something you don't want. If the seller has dropped the price 16% over the phone you may find something really wrong or he is motivated like you say to sell. Its hard to say without seeing and hear it run but $2500.00 wont buy a new truck let alone much on this market. We can't help with a twisted frame but we can fix most anything. This forum has the smarts and most of the parts to help you out whatever you mat end up needing... Good hunting and lets us know what happens... Drop in for the bbq at towcats too. We enjoy company....