Newbie to 7.3idi

Titojeep

Reaction score
O.K., Just got a 93 F350 DRW with 7.3 idi and 199K on the clock. New trans, new tires, new brake master cylinder, new glow plug controller and glow plugs. Truck has custom (TMC) conversion package (which was cool in 93) with leather interior, accent lighting, power door and windown options, and front grill guard. Oh, the truck was free! So far, I've put 1100 miles on it and only notice that it smokes at idle a little, and also when accelerator is partially disengaged, i.e. when traveling down the highway and I let off to slow down slightly. The smoke is bluish and goes away when I either let the accelerator completly off, or get back on it to stay at speed. Also when this happens, it's a little sluggish, but feels like nothing more than slight bumps in the road. Any input from you experienced guys? I've wanted a diesel and like the idea of something old, in fairly good shape. Needs paint, but certainly enough truck to haul my 4000lb camper, or trailer with jeep loaded. I would expect to get to at least 300K, right? No valve ticking, or weird noises at idle either. As for milage, the first day I got it, I was able to get 15.9 miles to the gallon, but since then have only managed 12.8 to 13.2. Did the previous owner have something in the tank? Looking forward to your response.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
my truck had the same symptoms with smoke and i replaced the injectors to fix it. the ip and timing on the ip is also suspect. the expected longevity on these engines varies greatly as to how well you take care of it. if all maintenence is done properly and regularly $then i think you should be able to expect at least 300k out of it. ive seen one idi with about 560k and still running strong.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Here's a general rule with any Stanadyne/Roosamaster injected diesel (IH 6.9/7.3 or GM 6.2/6.5); at about 100k to 150k pump and injector performance starts to suffer, and the ULSD just speeds up the process. Replace the pump, injectors, and lift pump. The pieces are not that expensive, at least compared to the Bosch stuff, and after that the motor must be timed properly. The engine itself, if the maintenance is done and you don't run on the governor all the time will last well past 350k miles. The thing that kills these engines early most of the time is a bad owner. The IH does not have timing chains and is pretty beefy all the way around. The high compression ratio has a tendency to push head gaskets, so don't let it overheat. The 7.3 needs special coolant additives so the block worm doesn't kill the block. Be sure to read the stickies about the IDI as a primer for these engines. They are not the most powerful but when they are modded right and maintained they will go a long time before an overhaul.

Titojeep

Reaction score
When you say additives, do you mean something other than what's in the standard coolant? Is it something I have to buy at the dealer?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
When you say additives, do you mean something other than what's in the standard coolant? Is it something I have to buy at the dealer?

You want to add DCA4 which is a supplemental additive to the coolant. This is in order to prevent cativation and the cylinder heads from lifting from the block as well as over-heating. You can get DCA4 at most any large truck stop or diesel parts place or your international dealer.

Titojeep

Reaction score
Thanks. I really appreciate the quick responses and the link. I'll be buying the strips and fluid today after work. I hope I find it in good shape?

Titojeep

Reaction score
Forgot to ask. What temperature should I be seeing on the radiator if I scan it with a non contact IR? What would be too hot? I ask, only because I'm used to seeing the regular guage on a gas vehicle sitting just below the middle between C and H. I've noticed that mine is well below mid point, even when running the AC.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Mine runs a little over the first line above the " C ". Would be about the bottom 1/4 of the gauge. I have never seen mine even get to half way between the " C " and the " H " even when it's hot outside. I have heard some members say it may get half way, if it's hot outside and you are towing a heavy load.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Welcome to OB!;Sweet

Sounds like the fuel system may be in need of some attention depending on the mileage.

As far as the factory gauges go, snag ya a set of good mechanical ones and put em on there. The factory gauges are kind of a show piece and really don't tell you much.

Make sure to read the threads for the newbs at the top. Alot of your general maintenance issues and concerns are all adderssed there.

Grab a cup of joe and enjoy some reading.:thumbsup:

Titojeep

Reaction score
Yeaup. Thanks for the info. I agree on the guages. I'm a technical guy myself and agree I need to see some numbers. Had a chance to check the coolant, and it's where it's supposed to be. So far so good. Again, I guess I can't complain about a free truck. I met someone who know's fords pretty well, and has agreed to take a look at my issue. He too suggested that it might be an injector issue. I forgot to mention above, that I added a bottle of Diesel Kleen to the tank and it seemed to have helped slightly. It's not as sluggish on the decel although the smoke is still present, just not as bad.

Titojeep

Reaction score
Ron, I just realized your the one with the blue truck above. First, my favorite color is blue, second seriously loving your blue 350 pictured. Great job on the truck! I'd set mine up like that if it was a 4X4. Just curious, do you have any good sources for interior parts? Mine is actually in damn good shape with the exception of the worn in drivers seat and three damaged A/C vents. I'd like to find replacent pre-formed foam for the seats, and vent's for the dash?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Ron, I just realized your the one with the blue truck above. First, my favorite color is blue, second seriously loving your blue 350 pictured. Great job on the truck! I'd set mine up like that if it was a 4X4. Just curious, do you have any good sources for interior parts? Mine is actually in damn good shape with the exception of the worn in drivers seat and three damaged A/C vents. I'd like to find replacent pre-formed foam for the seats, and vent's for the dash?

You can get the dash vents off ebay. I got 2 vents for mine off e-bay for $18.00. :D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score

Thanks.;Sweet
It's an 05 Superduty color. Sonic blue pearl. Looks better on the bricknose than the Superduties IMHO.

Might check with Darrin Tosh, he's parting one out right now.;Sweet