Newbie question regaurding fuel filter

CrawlerHauler

aka "bowshtr"
Reaction score
Sorry this is a totally newbie post but I ran through and did some searches and came up with a few answers but nothing 100%. I have got an 89 f250 7.3 that has been jerry rigged to the max! I am trying to pull the kinks out of it as we speak and I am stuck at the fuel filter and housing.

Whoever had the truck before me had removed the filter and housing and put a piece of 11/32 hose in its place. Along with wiring the glow plugs to a toggle switch in the cab.

It looks like the alternator bracket is where the filter housing is attached. The problem I am facing is I cant seem to find where I can purchase a new housing to put it back to factory specs. I thought about just putting an inline filter there and calling it a day but I would much rather do it right. Along with the housing I noticed there are 3-4 wires dangling there and was wondering if they go to the filter.

Thanks ahead for any advice!!

Chris

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is no "housing", as the filter is a canister-type, just like an oil filter.

Immediately behind the alternator is where the filter head should reside on a stock set-up.

Since you have nothing there, you would be better off to go to a big truck graveyard and get a frame-mounted dual-filter set-up, with a huge primary and secondary filter.

This can be mounted out of the way, somewhere that is a lot easier to service than the stock location.

The only reason that Ford puts them where they are is so that when the truck comes down the assembly-line, they can drop engine, filter, and all in there at the same time; it is an assembly-line expedient, more so than any forethought for future service.

CrawlerHauler

aka "bowshtr"
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea.

Hopefully I can find a good scrap yard somewhere local. I had a hard time find axles for my Toyota that I built and couldn't find anything in my area.

Again I appreciate the advice!