"New truck" Overheat.. Ideas?

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with dmaxjoe on this one.

That has fan clutch written all over it.

If its hot and you can't hear the fan above the engine that clutch is shot.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had temp problems on mine and over the years I did flushes, t-stat, new rad (was original and started to leak anyway) and I still wasn't happy with it. About two weeks ago I decided to replace the fan clutch. Now that I have a new clutch the old one was definitely bad - completely different sound. I think it was less than $150 at Advanced auto.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do t stat first. then diagnose fan clutch. Flat strap bolted to fan and pulley to lock it will tell you if you here it turning on, My truck runs hot when loaded all the time, with a 5 core rad. So dont condemn the gaskets just yet, could be but always KISS it first.

But my stat just failed and was doing exactly what yours is. , and now I think its stuck open cause its 37 here this am and the dang thing wont put out any heat.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I change the thermostats I cut off the rubber seal around the stat opening to allow more flow thru the stat. When you see the factory stat you will see what I'm talking about. Its a strip of rubber glued to the body and it seals the metal to metal opening. the travel has to overcome the springy rubber ot open the stat. I levae the rubber that glued to the body of the stat because its tuff to remove.