new (to me) cummins

mikhail

Reaction score
Just bought my first diesel, 2001 2wd, ext. cab, long bed, auto. 338k miles, runs perfect and the tranny was rebuilt about 60k ago, just changed the fluid. Its in real good shape, the PO just replaced the dash 6months ago, interior is very clean as is the outside, mainly highway miles. I also got it for 3500, I think it was a good deal?

I have done some research and I'm going to get a triple gauge pillar and have egt, trans temp, and fuel pressure. I was wondering what would be a good fuel additive? I'm about to try the Lucas fuel treatment, any thoughts? thanks

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
The price sounds about right. I've used Power Service, Lucas, and (I can't remember the name) that is in the clear bottle with a amber color fluid that you usually find at truck stops. They're all good products.

Definitely get the gauges though you may want one for boost or a Westach combo gauge that will show boost and EGT on the same gauge. First thing I'd do is have the fuel pressure checked at the injection pump. If it's less than 10 psi then swap the lift pump ASAP or (better yet) install a new FASS system to eliminate the weak lift pump design. Also, you may try to find out from the PO when the last time the injection pump was replaced; at 338k it's been changed at least a couple times especially if it's still using the factory-designed transfer pump.

Other mods, since it's an auto I'd go easy on the power. A 4" exhaust will help spool up a bit and make the truck sounds great. You can remove the silencer ring in the turbo to give you some better harmonics from the turbo and installing a BHAF will help it breathe easier as well.

mikhail

Reaction score
where can I install a fuel pressure gauge probe?

and is there a sensor for the trans temp already? Id rather not have to tap a new one and risk a leak.

The injection pump, lines, and injectors have all been replaced. I think he said it was about a year ago, they are all still new looking. Ive already straight piped it and removed the silencer ring. It came with an afe cold air intake.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Geno's Garage used to sell a hose with a fuel pressure gauge on one end and the correct fitting on the other to screw onto the test port of the VP44. Instant fuel pressure gauge.

Trannie temp usually requires installation of a probe, though most after market deep transmission pans have a bung pre-installed for a gauge.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
I brazed a bung to the tranny pan in a few minutes, and the risk of a leak is minimal, I would recommend it, as the sensor is submerged in the oil, giving you an average temp of the actual fluid.
I would like to find out where is the test port in the vp44, as I still need to install my fuel pressure somewhere. Can someone chime in, please?

mikhail

Reaction score
I bought a edge juice w/attitude chip for $500. Has a fuel pressure monitor and egt, works really good. Also has an alert when the fuel pressure drops below 5psi. So far I haven't seen it go below 10, and it sits around 13-15 most of the time. I didn't tap the pump wire though but im already happy with the power increase so I'm going to leave it as it is.