new to me, 94 psd obs powerstroke

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even the dorman kit?
What brand would be best?

Oem is the only route I recommend for parts for these motors.

Id rather spend a little more than be cheap and wonder how long the chinese junk is gonna last.the lifetime warranty is no good when youre stuck in the middle of nowhere

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll definitely remember that if/when mine act up. I hadn't seen anyone talk about one brand or another, so I just posted what I thought to be a good deal.
But thanks for the heads up.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason they fail is the glow plugs.I wouldn't trust the aftermarket stuff to handle the amps they draw.replace the glow plugs every year before winter.100 dollars a year to know your truck is gonna start is money very well spent.at that time bend the female connectors on the harnesses so they make a good tight connection.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I do have a few bad glowplugs. But it still starts way easier and faster than my idi.

Id replace them soon especially if you have or suspect melted harnesses and gaskets.if it shorts the injector wiring you can burn up a thousand dollar idm.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so................. this thing is nice, there is a switch that the PO installed with some kind of electric priming pump for cold starts "that's what he told me" and also for heavy towing. Separately, there is a kind of shudder, where the engine goes into a kind of high idle can't really describe it better than that, not sure what triggers it, first time I was parked and idling, and second time I was backing out of a parking space. it goes up and down but the rpms are def higher than normal. Is this normal for a 5-speed? the tank switch works and shows fuel level accurately but will not switch between the two. autojunk neither carries the CPS or the tank switch valve. The truck runs great! LOADS more powert than the leaky old IDI, I had my doubts, but the only thing I miss about the IDI is the zombie apocalypse factor that after a nuke drop it will still run "no computers to fail" I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this truck only has 140 k on it. I'll hook up the pics tomorrow. As for the sound, I'll have to listen to mine when it does it again. The terminals were pretty gross, cleaned the crap outta them and the battery connectors. The truck cranked kinda slow and I thought it was just because of an old starter, always started right up the fist time after wts goes out. Now, vroom, the starter doesn't even really have to engage. I performed a load test on the alt, because I noticed that the voltage gauge looked a bit on the low side. but charges good at 14v, and recovers well when load is applied, dropping just shy of 12vdc. the volt meter in the dash is lying. but before fixing anything, I really need to get the tank switch issue figured out. trying a google search wasn't a help, maybe I am searching the term wrong. I'll take a look at the ebpv too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Afaik, there's no "replacement" tank selector valve. There's universal one's but I don't know that many have had luck with them.
Also if you see the voltmeter "jumping/dancing" after starting, do NOT worry, it's normal operation.
Another thing to read about is cleaning the ebps tube and sensor. Ebps and ebpv are separate systems, it wasn't a typo.

Rich, I'm pretty sure it's just the glowplugs. The harness connectors don't look bad. But when I have some extra money floating around, I will change them plus glowplugs whilst in there.
One of these days when it drops below freezing again, I'll make a cold start video and you can tell me what you think. It'll start right up with the block heater.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watched a vid on cleaning the sensor and aperture and tube I'll hop on that this morning, as well as a thorough cleaning. Bull, I don't believe that there is no replacement. The PO had problems with the filter light and finally changed the inline filter because of a sediment near blockage. I wonder if a good cleaning of said tank switch hingy will fix it or if I'm hosed?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans chatters in second, is that ok? Just after engagement or so .

No thats not ok.check your fluid.is it full? Over full? Nice clean red or dark and smelly.may want to do a filter and fluid change on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US