New (to me) 7.3 crew dually and some zf5 swap questions

CrewCabFanatic

Reaction score
Howdy everybody! I just bought a '93 crew cab dually long bed with the 7.3. Has a few of the common 26 year old truck type issues that Im fixing, but it's a pretty sound truck that I hope to own for many years to come. I fell in love with it pretty quickly.

I have decided to swap in a zf5, and went ahead and bought one. Most of the swap looks pretty straightforward, I've done a few transmissions so I'm not completely new, but I'm no expert either. My question relates to the driveshaft and u joints- I understand that I will need a longer driveshaft going from e4od to zf. My question is, is there a source for the correct length shaft, so that I can do a pretty much straightforward bolt up, or will I have to go to a driveshaft shop and have it lengthened? The u-joints are also larger with a manual vs auto; should I swap them all, front to back, or will doing just the yoke and u-joint that attaches to the trans suffice?

Thank you in advance for your help, and for welcoming me to this great resource!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swap out pinion yolk and get a 5 speed shaft for the wheelbase... Option 1

have a shaft with 2 separate yolks made option 2

Personal choice here only.

Some might balk at pulling the pinion nut, some might argue 2
u joints are stupid...
Enjoy the new toy

CrewCabFanatic

Reaction score
Thank you! It all sounds fairly straightforward then. I'll probably pull the pinion yoke then...I figure if the oem went with the larger joints there's probably a good reason.

And I absolutely love this truck! I've only owned it for about a week and I already hope to be buried with it. They just aren't making trucks like this anymore. Just try this type of work on a new truck!:mad: :***: Love the idi! :cool

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no worries.
Now fill in the trucks specs in yer sig line ...
Helps us see whatcha got questions about.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E4OD is 6” longer than the zf, diesel and 460 uses the same driveshafts. Best bet for a driveshaft is to put the trans in and measure what you need then go to wreckers and find one the right length.

CrewCabFanatic

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone I've been burning the midnight oil on this project for sure. I set aside a good chunk of change to buy the truck+ restore it to like new condition mechanically, along with the zf swap. I've planned ahead, and the experience and advice available on this forum will be invaluable to me. The area I live is flat as a pancake, so I'm not looking to do much in the way of power upgrades, I'm just investing in making it as reliable and strong as possible. I've got all sorts of parts on the way, right now I'm getting a set of idiperformance injectors...I'd never have known about this without lurking this forum. This truck has been a dream a long time coming.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'll get there ! It took me about a decade, but I made it.
Well it's been over 25 years for me. I thought I had one bought last spring, but there was too many little problems that added up to a big list. One being that it was about 8 hours away. I do know where there's a 1986 close by, but it's a complete rebuild. I'm not sure if I'm up to that one. It would take several years to redo. If it's in good enough shape. I haven't looked at it up close for over 11 years. All you can see above the weeds is about the top foot or so of the cab.

CrewCabFanatic

Reaction score
Well it's been over 25 years for me. I thought I had one bought last spring, but there was too many little problems that added up to a big list. One being that it was about 8 hours away. I do know where there's a 1986 close by, but it's a complete rebuild. I'm not sure if I'm up to that one. It would take several years to redo. If it's in good enough shape. I haven't looked at it up close for over 11 years. All you can see above the weeds is about the top foot or so of the cab.

Honestly, it was a surprise to me when I was able to do what I'm doing with this truck....the family business took off after years of work and sacrifice and I am finally in a position to do this. It was as much luck as anything else.