New steering gear leaking from sector shaft cover

Lovely Bunny

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently replaced my steering gear with a new one from redhead. It's been fine for a couple weeks but has now sprung a leak from under the sector shaft cover. It happens whenever the wheels are turned as far as they can go to the right. It really spurts a ton of fluid, drains the pump reservoir right quick. Should I just torque the cover down a little harder?

This is actually my second steering gear from redhead for this project--the first one leaked immediately, but from the other side, where the pitman arm attaches. I believe that first one leaked when the wheels were turned all the way left. I called up redhead and they sent me a replacement right away.

Any clues what might be going on?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what RAM Truck mirrors have to do with your post. I clicked on "replacement right away" and it took me to the RAM Mirrors...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of pump are you running? I wonder if the relief valve in the pump has been modified or is stuck. Sounds like there is too much pressure going to the steering gear. I am sure redhead is going to get suspicious also and may have some suggestions since you have blown out two boxes.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what RAM Truck mirrors have to do with your post. I clicked on "replacement right away" and it took me to the RAM Mirrors...

Those are ads generated by the forum. They'll randomly pop up in different posts and never have anything to do with the original post. It can be confusing at times but that's why that happened.

Lovely Bunny

Reaction score
Alright so I pulled the pump and removed the pressure relief valve...seemed fine, Everything sprung right out and moved freely. Cleaned it out with some brake cleaner and a lint free cloth just because, now I’m thinking I’ll reinstall everything, flush and bleed the system, and give it another go.

Does this seem like a worthwhile plan, or now that that seal has blown do I definitely need a new steering gear?

Lovely Bunny

Reaction score
Update! Just spoke to Brad at redhead, they're very friendly over there for what it's worth. He confirmed that the first blowout was their fault, the builder used a slightly undersized gear or something like that, so it leaked once it was under pressure. In any case they're going to send me a third gear so we'll see how this one goes.

On the upside I'm getting really good at replacing steering gears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger