New Seats

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am finally going to install some used King Ranch seats, I picked up 6years ago, into the my 91 CC. Going to replace the carpet at the same time and just try to clean up the interior in general. The new seats are power as well as heated. My question is what do you guys think is the best way to provide power to the seats. My initial thought was a small auxiliary fuse block. Electrical is not my strong point for sure so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd look up the circuit from the Superduty pickup and see what rating fuse they have from the factory. Then wire it into a Key on circuit in your truck, using that rating of fuse. Might also want to check if they are powering the heater and motors separately.

I rather like the superduty seats as well. If I could ever figure out how to make them tilt forward for access to the rear seats of my extra cab pickup, I'd be tempted to make a similar swap. Plenty of used sets show up on marketplace, and aftermarket leather upholstery is easy to find online.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically power seats are powered even with the key off. You could probably tie in to the power door locks if you have them. Or just run a wire from the under hood fuse panel, and add an inline fuse. Rich Deboss from Deboss garage on YouTube used a Milwaukee 12v tool battery to power the seats in his F Tree Kitty. Its an OBS f350 with a Caterpillar engine and a 2008 interior swap.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically power seats are powered even with the key off. You could probably tie in to the power door locks if you have them. Or just run a wire from the under hood fuse panel, and add an inline fuse. Rich Deboss from Deboss garage on YouTube used a Milwaukee 12v tool battery to power the seats in his F Tree Kitty. Its an OBS f350 with a Caterpillar engine and a 2008 interior swap.
What's the upside of using a 12v tool battery? He's sitting on 130a of alternator output... I love my 12v ryobi batteries for that kind of thing but only for testing motors and the like--never for constant duty.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the upside of using a 12v tool battery? He's sitting on 130a of alternator output... I love my 12v ryobi batteries for that kind of thing but only for testing motors and the like--never for constant duty.
I’m not sure other than it was easy and fast. I don’t think he was using heat though. And that’s something I wasn’t thinking about earlier you wouldn’t want heat to be functional without the truck running. Those seat heaters draw a fair amount. Probably use relays, with the switch being powered by key on power, but the relays fed by constant power. You wouldn’t want all that current passing through the ignition switch.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! While Im doing the seats and carpet I thought it would a good time to upgrade the sound system as well. Good time to run wires for stuff under the carpet. The new seat configuration will have two captains chairs with a center console instead of a bench. Figured I could hide a small aux fuse panel in there to power the seats and some sound system accessories. Just trying to keep clutter to minimum under the dash. Working on some pics!

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
The 12V tool battery was actually a joke and only used to sort out the wires under the seat. In a later video he explained he would wire the seats into the harness to use truck power...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you would like fuse size information, let me know. I can look at the book for my Excursion, it has heated and power seats……

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would use an extra waterproof fuse block underhood, but I run a lot of aftermarket accessories so they have multiple uses.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you would like fuse size information, let me know. I can look at the book for my Excursion, it has heated and power seats……
That fuse size would be great info to have. Thanks

I was out in the Excursion and remember to grab the book

The Heated Seats (that is how it is listed, so it appears that is for both heated front seats) fuse is 30 Amp and not that it necessarily matters, but it is a maxi-fuse

Each Front Power Seat (they are called out Driver and Passenger) are a 30 Amp maxi-fuse also

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7