New rear tires chopping up?

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New set of tires all the way around, now with only 350miles or so on the rears are chopping quite noticeable. The front tires look and feel fine. I just bought this truck a couple of weeks ago so no history. It had crappy tires on all corners so I didn't think much about it then. A bent axle possibly?? Drives down the road like a dream even better than most I drive of this age. It does have a bad vibration at or above 75, but I figure the tire shop did a poor balance job. Now I'm not sure. What say you?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Mine does too but its because i go fast through the corners

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Check your shackles, when mine broke it would start vibrating between 70 and 75, was barley noticeable otherwise, and caused odd wear on the rear tires.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
A name brand set of tires or some wally world POS tire?

Is there a locker of some sort in the rear?

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decent tires, no locker. Might be where they had spun a few times. the right is worse than the left. What about air pressure? They are like 65 in the back 45 front.

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its like if you rub your hand over the tread it feels sharp. Guess I'm going to run it a bit more and see what happens.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are the rear bushings and shackles, have you checked them yet? also put a couple of oz. of the silver BB's in each for a bullet proof balance.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its like if you rub your hand over the tread it feels sharp. Guess I'm going to run it a bit more and see what happens.

they will get worse.
have you checked the shocks? also you need to rotate them as soon as you can to save those tires

greasemonky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shocks look new and feel good. I will let my brother drive it in to the dealership he works at and put it on the alignment rack for safe measure. Tires are not cheap as you know, I don't want to eat them up in 3000 miles. I think I will rotate and see what happens.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regardless of tire brand/quality, even a cheapo tire will wear true on a truck that is in optimum shape.

In any situation where a tire, or pair of tires, is not wearing evenly, it is ALWAYS a fault with the vehicle.

Some tires are made of harder compounds and have solid tread ribs that will withstand this odd wear pattern a while longer, but the odd wear will sooner or later become evident; softer tires or more open-treaded tires will exhibit it a lot sooner.

The most likely cause of "dipping" "cupping" "wash-boarding" "chopping" is poor or wrong shock-absorbers.

Weak springs or any weak or broken component of the spring system will also cause it.

Front-end geometry of some models of trucks are such that no tire will ever wear good; 1994 and later Dodge 4x4 are a prime example of this.

Although not a problem with full-size trucks, almost without exception, the light-weight passenger cars of the last thirty years all will sooner or later exhibit dipping of the tires simply on account of the car not being heavy enough to keep the tire firmly planted on the ground.

I recently saw a slow-motion video of the point of road contact of a pricey name-brand tire on a pricey luxury sedan and I was scared to go over 30-MPH for weeks. :eek:

I will get flamed for certain, but I will go out on a limb and suggest against rotating these, or any, tires; all you will accomplish is to ruin the other two.

If you want to straighten out those tires, first address whatever mechanical situation that is causing the problem; then, have the tires "trued" on a genuine tire tread trimmer.

Although it looks scary to have your high-priced tread cut off and falling to the floor in shavings, the resultant roundness of the tread surface will last much longer, plus have better traction. ;Sweet

My final bit of wisdom is:

If the truck rides and drives good, just ignore it and live with it; it is very possible that you could spend several hundred dollars and things only be worse. :dunno

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are wheel bearings ok? any play in the wheel?
jack it up put in neutral with the fronts chocked and spin the tires around you see anything wierd? a wobble or anything
also i had a set do this once my issue was a cheap tire combined with uneven loading about 1k on the pass side truck looked like it sat level but guess it wasnt
also youre tire pressures seem reversed front to rear i run fronts at the weight rating pressure and rears lower when empty this way the front with the diesel is basiclly always loaded while the rear with a bed and thats about is it always empty youll get good wear
another thing you sure its 65 psi rear not 80 rear i know some gas station machines pressures are way off check it with a good gauge 80 psi on an empty bed with a tire rated to 65 can cause some weird stuff