New Intake, what do you think?

1994IDI

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing this today. Garrett, member "ghunt", fabbed this up for me based off of his on, and sent it to me several months ago (I hope he doesn't mind me calling him out). It was right around the same time I bought the firebird, and until this week I have not been able to move the bird. Well, she finally runs, so I can use my garage for other vehicles now too.
Anyway, he made the intake out of 4" steel tubing, and also sent a bracket to relocate the fuel filter. I had to extend the fuel lines from the IP and lift pump, and the rubber line that runs from the injector bank to the fuel filter. (Can anyone tell me what that is for?) The electrical connections (water in fuel sensor and ? not sure what the second one is) did reach but they are very tight. Then used a downspout connector from the Lowe's plumbing dept. to step the turbo up to the intake, and a cheapo high flow filter from advance.
Now I just need a pyro so I can get into playing with IP increases.

Attachments

• intake5.jpg
    intake5.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 164

1994IDI

Reaction score
I can definitely hear more turbo now.. but my downpipe is not in my turbo elbow either. It's a slip fit ATS elbow and downpipe and I can't get them to stay in. I am looking for advice on how to make these stay together. But I'm not sure if that's making any difference on the sound.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
what you should do is get a 8837 filter on there its a nice big filter that you will really hear some turbo wine and it will flow lots of air and wont let dirt threw, i never really liked those off brand parts store filters

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
For your slip fit down pipe, I figured out something simple and really its so easy I don't know if I ever would have thought about it myself. My dad, an old timer from the good ol days or hot rodding and an old farmer to boot, saw my problem and figured out a solution as soon as he looked at it. See there's a tab on that down pipe, or there should be atleast (if there is not one weld a washer or a nut to it to allow you to do this), and the manifold/crossover pipe bolt is a great spot to anchor the two together. He handed me an old roll of the good THICK bailing wire and told me to run a double layered strand of it through the tab on the down pipe, and then through the hole the manifold bolt creates in between the manifold and crossover pipe. Twist the two ends of the wire together and keep twisting and twisting until you draw the wire as tight as you can get it. Twisting it like that draws the pipe up into the housing farther and it will stay there. Pretty crazy, apparently an old farmer trick for lots of stuff. lol

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to installing this today. Garrett, member "ghunt", fabbed this up for me based off of his on, and sent it to me several months ago (I hope he doesn't mind me calling him out).

Not a bit!

I noticed you don't have the bracket on the pipe bolted to the filter head mount- howcome? Did you have problems getting it to line up?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
That looks real nice but Is there enough space to allow for the twist of the motor? There probably is, it just looks real tight from my screen.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the different filter. It worries me how people trust those cheap off name filters. The Napa filter is the way to go.