New IDI owner

SLittle

Reaction score
After years of towing with my gasser, I am finally making the jump. I have been looking for the right 2015 F350 when something different fell in to my lap.

A friend has a 1991 F350 2wd dually. 7.3 IDI non - turbo. It sat for 9 years prior to him purchasing it last year. In the last year we have replaced the glow plugs, controller, fuel lines, added a fuel boost pump, new batteries, cables, starter... uh... tires, turn signal switch, brakes, lots of little things... This thing now runs like a dream.

He came to me the other day and said that he too is purchasing a new diesel and needs this one gone. I have first opportunity at a VERY VERY cheap price. So... my first diesel will be an NA IDI.

First thing that needs addressed: The steering wheel is 90 degrees off when going straight down the road and there is considerable play in the wheel. I do see some play in the tie rods so I will replace these right away. Truck has 165,000 miles. Should I go ahead and replace the ball joints? Does this have the twin I beam bushings? I haven't crawled under it yet.

Next thing: I tow 10,000 lbs on camping weekends. Fifth wheel camper with boat trailer behind that. I'm confident that the 7.3 will tow. I'm usually on 55 mph black tops. If I were to locate a stock IDI turbo kit, would it make it better? Where could I find such a thing?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome and congratulations on your purchase. very rarely do you get to get to know your vehicle before purchasing.
with the info you have provided so far, I highly encourage you to fully inspect your steering system from one end to the other end while someone is working the steering wheel going from one side of resistance to the other. without seeing a alignment printout, i'm tempted to say there is either something very wrong or something got put back together wrong.
still, more info needed.
yes, you need to turbo and intercool. :D

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more options about turbo/intercooling. I have a line on a dead 7.3 with the ZF5 I might buy as a parts truck for a transmission swap. I may hold on to the 7.3 and rebuild it

Edit: dang I thought this was my thread, I was wondering where all the posts went. we have two going with the same title

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more options about turbo/intercooling. I have a line on a dead 7.3 with the ZF5 I might buy as a parts truck for a transmission swap. I may hold on to the 7.3 and rebuild it

Edit: dang I thought this was my thread, I was wondering where all the posts went. we have two going with the same title
So, to eliminate repetition, let's just do this here. What info are you looking for on the turbo and intercooling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online