New idi owner

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the cylinder 1 injector. I had to move the fuel return line going to the filter head to get better access to it. Plus there is something else installed on this injector between the hardline and the cap that the other seven didnt have. I just tried to loosen it again and its still trying to twist the hard line. Sprayed it again and will try again tomorrow I guess.

Rob-

The #1 injector has a timing adaptor installed between the hardline nut and the injector. You'll need an extra 5/8 wrench on the adaptor to hold it still so you can break the injector line loose from the adaptor. Once that is loose, you can then remove the adaptor from the injector to gain access to the return fitting.

Hope this helps.

Eric

IHDiesel445

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also duno if you are doing it or not, but that timing adapter threads onto the top of the injector. if you are not holding that still when u try and undo the line, it will just turn with the line nut. put a wrench on the timing adapter then try to loosen the line.

^^^ What he said. Sorry Crawler I didn't see your post!

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got home work today prepped to do battle with the return lines. Lucky me i found a present left from the fedex man, my filter head check valve. So I went out and after I realized i needed to move a plastic cover from the timing adapter I was able to double wrench the line an adapter and she finally let go. Lots of cuts and annoying orings later shes all buttoned up and running like a champ. One thing though, a ring that went around the intake screen came off. Is this important? The screen is a little bent and not sitting all that flush now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got this fixed up... Yes, the o-ring is important. You can get a gasket from any autoparts store. They are 5 1/4 inch diameter and a really standard gasser part but they work fine for what we have.... If you refering to the rubber gasket seal on top of the filter housing then yes... You really need that too. Any water or rain water that gets past the cowl seal at the firewall will be sitting on the air filter lid.... Then it gets drawn into the intake and will cause all kinds of issues... Like hydrolocking the engine...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, it has become a part of my life. Something about these trucks, good dudes find their way behind the wheels of them.;Sweet I am glad someone chimed in about holding back with a second wrench. best of luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online