New idi owner

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've been lurking and learning for about a month now and figured it was time to finally post up and say hey. My new to me truck is a 89 F350 CC dually 2wd 7.3 NA. This is my first diesel ever and man is it a different world. At least this motor seems pretty user repairable. Right now I'm attempting to replace the return line caps and hoses. I think they are original as they are covered in grey paint. I've got every hard line off cept the one by the filter and the nut was trying to twist the hardline so I stopped and broke out some pb blaster. Hopefully that does the trick in a little while. I'm also slowing figuring out that with a big truck comes the need for bigger tools. None of my filter wrenches will come close to getting on the fuel filter, and when I did the wheel bearing none of my race drivers would touch it. Anyway enough rambling thanks for the info already learned and the knowledge yet to come. Rob

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Welcome to the club brother. I've been around diesels my whole life and love them. The truck I currently own is my first diesel and I have had it for a yr and half now. Good luck and again welcome to the club.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the best forum about these engines and trucks. No better place to find information either.... On the intake manifold runners you will find a number that tells you what cylinder your working on. Find that number and post back which line near the air filter thats twisting off. Or from the fron of the engine to the fire wall the cylinder numbers are ...Passenger side is 1-3-5-7 and the drivers side is 2-4-6-8... Hope this helps you out,,,,

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the cylinder 1 injector. I had to move the fuel return line going to the filter head to get better access to it. Plus there is something else installed on this injector between the hardline and the cap that the other seven didnt have. I just tried to loosen it again and its still trying to twist the hard line. Sprayed it again and will try again tomorrow I guess.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB IDI forum.

Remove the nut just like you did on the other seven injectors. Then you can screw off the timing adapter from the injector on #1 cyl.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome OB Rob. Glad to have another member keeping the old iron up and running!

Heath

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Welcome to the brotherhood man. Yes, these engines are extremely user repairable...that's what I love about em. Get some pics up of that beast!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try hitting it with a hammer but back it up first. That means before you actually hit the nut place a heavy hammer of large piece of metal on the opposite side of the nut where your going to hit. When you hit the nut the heavy hammer or piece of metal will jump away from the nut. Whats happening is the shock wave is traveling thru the nut doing its job. Aerokroil or PB Blaster soaking in will really help. If the line breaks just find a wrecking yard and get another one. The lines on the 6.9 do not have the timing adapter but they work fine because they are the same length as what you have now. I know your thinking how can they be the same without the timing adapter... Its kinda magic... Its all in the bends to the lines.... Magic....:sly

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I snagged an overtime shift at the firehouse so no truck work today. As soon as I get home though I'll grab a couple hammers if the PB Blaster hasn't worked.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
also duno if you are doing it or not, but that timing adapter threads onto the top of the injector. if you are not holding that still when u try and undo the line, it will just turn with the line nut. put a wrench on the timing adapter then try to loosen the line.