New Haul and Tow RV transporter build

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been welding all day on the deck plate, rub rails, marker light bracket and ramp mount. Left side of the bed is complete. Deck plate is cut and ready to weld up on the right side tomorrow. All welding and metal fabrication should be done tomorrow if the weather cooperates a bit. calling for a 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms.

Will have to go get my 4th bottle of Argon for the TIG welder tomorrow. These 160 cu ft bottles are good for about 10 - 15 hrs each so I have about 30 - 45 hrs of just welding on this bed so far.

I sure could use a little break from this heat and humidity. 97*F, no breeze and 90% humidity bites. Been like that the last few days and see no break in the forcast for the next 10 days. Oh well, suck it up and drive on.

You must be registered for see images attach

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deck plate is done. Only thing left now is to finish the rub rail and ramp mount and a few minor details on the right side, touch everything up and remove any sharp edges with the grinder and then it's off to paint, powder coat and chrome....... errrrr.... well a $28 gallon of red Rustoleum anyways.

I think I have figured out a couple of my "Top Secret" timesaver ideas and may make a couple minor changes and additions tomorrow too.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metal fabrication is done and it's all painted red now.... as well as my own hands and arms. Could use another coat but that ain't happening right now.

Shop lighting makes it look orange LOL. I'll get it pulled out of the shop tomorrow in daylight for a few pics.

Time now for a 3 day thrash to finish it up and be ready to work.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TC

Assembly is going smooth. Quarter fenders, air bags, mud flaps, grass skirt, retroreflexive tape and some other stuff is done.

I used about 70' of 3M reflexive tape. The night shots are taken with no lights on. That just the glow from the tiny little led flash on my Blackberry.

If you hit me and say you didn't see me you are......

- a). Blind
- b). Stupid
- c). All of the above

Hint..... If you can read this and don't know the correct answer..... The answer is "B"

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, whats the bumper to bumper length? And the length from the back of sleeper to the tail end. Seeing it out of the shop, it doesn't look quite as long as the Ford,.......... at least from here.......

Looks real good, should really do the job nicely.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, whats the bumper to bumper length? And the length from the back of sleeper to the tail end. Seeing it out of the shop, it doesn't look quite as long as the Ford,.......... at least from here.......

Looks real good, should really do the job nicely.

Lets compare the two trucks

The Ford was an optical illusion because it was so short, the top of the cab on that truck was only as tall as the top of the hood on this one.

Front bumper to back of sleeper 13' 4" ........ 17" longer than the Ford
Bed - 26' ......... 25" shorter than the Ford
Bumper to bumper 39' 4" .......... 8" shorter than the Ford
Wheelbase 272" ......... 40" shorter than the Ford
Tires 36" tall ......... 3" taller than the Ford
Empty weight w/ fuel 17,000 lbs 3000 lbs heavier.
Sleeper .......... Stand upand stretch walk in double bunk condo vs sit in and hit your head
HP 445 ........ 255 more than the Ford
Torque ....... 1650 ..... 1200 ft lbs more than the Ford :sly
Gears 13 ...... 9 more than the Ford.
Suspension - Air ride vs spring ride
Cab - Air ride vs fixed
Seat Air ride vs fixed
Cruise control vs none
tilet telescopic steering wheel vs fixed
Jake brake vs none
Driver comfort - Priceless

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
LOOKING GOO there Mike;Sweet Real **** with that red:D

Damn...I missed all the fun on that one....... Don't worry tho....down here I'm literally soaked to the knees by 8 am and stay that way all day long....heat index has been 105 the past couple days.....

Now get out and make some MONEY!!!!!!:D

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Very Nice Mike! That's a awful lot of work just to do more work though.cookooLOL JK. I wish I had your skills as a fabricator. Looks GREAT!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn...I missed all the fun on that one....... Don't worry tho....down here I'm literally soaked to the knees by 8 am and stay that way all day long....heat index has been 105 the past couple days.....

That's OK, you just keep practicing on those C32s so yer ready for my little gold plated C12:sly........ stuffed half under the cab-cuss

Been brutal up here for the last few weeks. Mid 90s and 1000% humidity every day.

Stay thirsty my friend.:cheers:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She sure looks purdy!! Can't wait to see her loaded up!!

A couple of questions, and sorry if they were addressed earlier and I missed them...

First, given that the rig's a bit shorter than the Ford, what's the biggest trailer you're going to be able to fit on the deck? IIRC the Ford was able to haul a 26' trailer on the deck; will the Freightshaker have a similar capacity?

Second, it looks like you're going with a single stop/turn light on each side of the back (compared to 3 on each side on the other truck)...was that just because you ran out of space in the back, or because you decided there isn't much of a point in lighting up the front of the towed trailer, or what led to that?

I wish I had the capability to do half of what you're doing...very impressive!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
So,what did you do with the 5th wheel?I am in the market for one to replace this fixed jobber on my General.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online