New Hand Fabbed Aluminum Dash

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been laid off for the last couple of weeks and finally finished up (for the most part) my new gauge cluster setup. This truck has become the family wagon, so I've been making a lot of effort to make the interior nice for my wife and kids to ride around in. It was originally red (EVERYTHING was red) and beat to hell.

Over the past 6 or so months, I used my lunch breaks at work to bend and Tig this mess together. The panels are made from .080" aluminum sheet. I managed to fit all the gauges I wanted into the dash area (never really liked those pillar mounts), and even retained the factory AC vents on either side of the gauge cluster. Before ya'll flame me for the cheap ass gauges, just know that I traded some junk in my garage for them.

It all started when I couldn't locate a good diesel tach for the 84's gauge cluster; and since I had a perfectly good speedo and tach out of a 89' that I parted out, the wheels started turning. So, yes, the speedo and tach are out of a bricknose dash. To the left of them will eventually sit a boost gauge (need that turbo first) with a Auberin's EGT gauge above that. To the right of the steering column I built a box to house 5 switches with indicator lights for the fuel pump, high idle solenoid, cold start solenoid, fog lights, and a spare for future expansion. To the left of the steering column I built another box that houses a 3-way switch for the manual glow plugs and starter. The LED indicator above the switch tells me that the switch is pushed, and the red LED beside it gets it's signal through a timer - so the red light comes on after the glow plugs have been on for about 12 seconds. Pushing the switch up lights the glow plugs, pushing it down engages the starter. I made extensions for the light and wiper switches to move them out so they are easier to reach while driving. Then I thew in a generic parts store ignition switch (the original is now non-functional), because the only time any of my IDI's have left me stranded is when I had the steering column linkage self destruct in a previous truck. I went down to an electronics supply house and picked up some various panel mount indicators and mounted them on top to indicate; right/left turn, brights,4x4, brakes, and fuel filter vacuum.

On the center dash, I repositioned the stereo deck down about 1/2", and was able to fit 3 2-1/16" gauges above that. I now have a gauge for each fuel tank, and the ohm rating coincides with the Sunpro fuel level sending units that I will eventually retrofit into my tanks. And above them; on the left is actually pressure/vacuum gauge that I use for measuring vacuum, and the other 3 are air pressure gauges. One air gauge is for the rear air bag pressure, the other 2 will be for future on board air monitoring. The top row of gauges are all 1-1/2" diameter.

Underneath the center dash (in place of the ash tray) is another panel I made that houses an air switch and air pressure regulator so that I can adjust the rear air bag's pressure while driving. And I threw the cigarette lighter in there as well.

I wanted to fill that big ugly hole on the top center of the dash, and hadn't yet figured out where to put my factory clock, so I fabbed an aluminum bucket for the clock and threw it up on top of the dash. Also note that I covered the dash pad in some ultraleather material (doesn't look too professional - but good enough for me) that was leftover from recovering the headliner.

Finishing touches are an overhead console from a late 90's Ford explorer, and a hand full of parts that I machined on my dad's lathe - billet shifter, transfer case shift knob, turn signal lever, headlight and wiper switch levers, and even a billet aluminum radio antennae.

Those with a keen eye will also spot the steering column, door panels, and visors (the wife had to have a vanity mirror) are also from a 89.

Sorry for the long post, I know how you guys like details.....here's some pics

Attachments

• IMG_4938.JPG
    IMG_4938.JPG
    466.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4929.JPG
    IMG_4929.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4930.JPG
    IMG_4930.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4931.JPG
    IMG_4931.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4932.JPG
    IMG_4932.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4933.JPG
    IMG_4933.JPG
    460.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4936.JPG
    IMG_4936.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4928.JPG
    IMG_4928.JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 98

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THat is amazing:hail
I've been toying with the idea of fabbing up a new dash setup since the plastic is coming apart on my 92 and I need room for more gauges, I think you've inspired me to get off my duff and do something about it ;Sweet

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Very nice, great attention to detail. Would ya be interested in making some more billet parts...hard to find goodies like that for our trucks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> NOW WE'RE TALKING !!! <<<

:backoff That is the kind of custom work that I like to see. :backoff

It sets the truck apart from those that are full of store-bought goodies.

I aim to do something likewise, except in CROTCH-CHERRY; I have my own sawmill and I have entire barn-fulls of CHERRY, stacked and sticked, most of it since 1998-99, plenty of WALNUT too.

:thumbsup: I just can't say enough good stuff about your work; that is awesome. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can see a key in the column switch; did you gut the steering-lock from the column ??

One suggestion, seeing as how you have came this far :

Fabricate a complete set of custom pedal-pads; polished aluminum with shiny black rubber between the slats, MR Gasket muscle-car style.

You have already proven that it is well within your abilities. ;Sweet

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before somebody asks me how much to build one........I used the high dollar equipment at my work that I have access to on my own projects only, and I have so many hours in it that even if I had access to the right equipment at home I would have to charge an ungodly amount of money to make it worth my while.
Midnight, making some hardwood dash pieces would be awesome - same look the factory was trying to achieve but way better.
As far as lathe work goes, my old man does have a nice lathe and mill in his shop, but he's going through some serious stuff recently (wife is dying of cancer), just not a good time to hit him up with any kind of business proposition. Otherwise I'd be all for ripping out some parts for you BOOBS.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the gauges over the fuel level gauges?

SWS

left one is a vacuum gauge, other 3 are air pressure gauges. 1 is hooked directly to the air bags, 2nd is hooked to the regulator, 3rd just shows me the incoming air pressure for now (will go to an air tank eventually). The air switch next to the regulator cuts off the line going to the bags - otherwise the regulator would bleed air out every time air pressure went over the set point (whenever I hit a bump).

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I can see a key in the column switch; did you gut the steering-lock from the column ??

One suggestion, seeing as how you have came this far :

Fabricate a complete set of custom pedal-pads; polished aluminum with shiny black rubber between the slats, MR Gasket muscle-car style.

You have already proven that it is well within your abilities. ;Sweet

Great, now I have another project........Clutch and brake pedals would have to be covers since the existing pedal pad is welded on, throttle pedal would be pretty easy to reproduce. If you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of aluminum with "speed holes in it".

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is super awesome. You can be real proud of your craftmanship with work like that.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
That's awesome, that's what I love about the old ones, the dash sort of surrounds you, like an old freightliner big rig. But so much cooler with what yo did.;Sweet

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Ha, just looked closer and wondered why you had the 87-91 steering wheel with the old dash, should've known with your conversion.LOL