New engine, No power

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I got my MT480 fixed. It needed a capacitor and some wiring under the tach meter.

I've set it at 5 degrees ATDC @ 2000 RPM, using the luminosity probe. The power has come up quite a bit. It still won't tow my small 5th wheel at highway speeds. I thought maybe the fuel pressure was dropping off, so hung a gauge on it. 3 Psi at all times.

Did notice that the turbo won't build past 10 Psi, no matter what I do. The waste gate is held shut by a turn buckle, so that's not it.

I'm out of ideas, and it's getting frustrating. Can I apply 10 Psi from a compressor to the turbo plumbing by taking it off the intake and plugging it? Would it hurt the turbo? I plan to pressureize the intercooler plumbing and spray it with soapy water to see if there's a leak.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a custom bicycle pump pressure tester for my STI. Held 15 psi for 20 minutes and I called it good. Won't hurt the turbo unless your compressed air caused the turbine to spin without oil to it.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as timing without a meter. Have you ever heard the clatter of the engine change when the cold start solenoid kicks in? Before I had a meter, I adjusted timing and then jumpered the cold start solenoid and listened for that rattle. The cold start advances timing about 2 degrees. When you have it to that point it is awfully close.

I see that solenoid on 2 of our IDIs but don't see it connected to the IP at all. It just raises the idle by holding the accel open a little. Can you post a diagram of how it is supposed to change IP timing too? Perhaps some PO monkeyed with the linkage on our IDIs.

There is one local mechanic who owns the special little device to set timing on IDIs. We just adjust timing by ear here on the ranch with satisfactory results.

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently built a 7.3, factory turbo engine, and put it in my crew cab. SNIP

Also, I forgot to mention that I have one of R&D's cams installed. It's clocked correctly.

How did you find that engine? I've been looking for an IDIT truck for a few months. As soon as one pops up for sale, it's gone. We find IDIs pretty easily, but not turbos. I thought that companies that sell reman engines might sell them, but they just laugh cruelly when I ask about an IDIT. The guy at Accurate Diesel, Tim, has a block to sell but he's way back east. Transport costs would eat up the deal. Then it's probably tapered, he says.

Is this the R&D you're talking about? Washington is still pretty far from Texas, and TX is huge. It's as far across the widest parts of Texas as it is from TX to Cali or NY, for example. The deadly virus that kills even truck tires has of course jacked up shipping costs like crazy. My favorite hot shot guy has to charge $2 or $3 a mile now.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that solenoid on 2 of our IDIs but don't see it connected to the IP at all. It just raises the idle by holding the accel open a little. Can you post a diagram of how it is supposed to change IP timing too? Perhaps some PO monkeyed with the linkage on our IDIs.

There is one local mechanic who owns the special little device to set timing on IDIs. We just adjust timing by ear here on the ranch with satisfactory results.
The cold advance solenoid is different than the cold idle kick up solenoid. The advance solenoid is inside the IP. It’s the rear most electrical connector, separate from the fuel shut off solenoid.

nightrunner84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you find that engine? I've been looking for an IDIT truck for a few months. As soon as one pops up for sale, it's gone. We find IDIs pretty easily, but not turbos. I thought that companies that sell reman engines might sell them, but they just laugh cruelly when I ask about an IDIT. The guy at Accurate Diesel, Tim, has a block to sell but he's way back east. Transport costs would eat up the deal. Then it's probably tapered, he says.

Is this the R&D you're talking about? Washington is still pretty far from Texas, and TX is huge. It's as far across the widest parts of Texas as it is from TX to Cali or NY, for example. The deadly virus that kills even truck tires has of course jacked up shipping costs like crazy. My favorite hot shot guy has to charge $2 or $3 a mile now.
Yes, that's the right place.

I bought the turbo engine with a Centurion a few years back. Like you, I had been looking for a long time.