New BB injectors, bad smoke, need advice

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New(reman)BB injectors, bad smoke, need advice

I hate to beat a dead horse with another "smoke" thread but I read for hours and couldn't find the answers I'm lookin for

I replaced some nasty, off brand injectors with new BB injectors about three months ago. I also installed a new return line kit. This truck has smoked white since I bought it, but I was slowly getting it toned down. That is, until I put these injectors in. It got much better at first, then, all of the sudden, got much worse.

Lots of white/grey smoke at start up with pretty rough idle. Rough idle goes away after I drive a little. It doesn't appear to be smoking while I drive, but if I stop... moderate white smoke that slowly gets worse. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether the engines up to temp or not.

I've advanced the timing what I think is quite a bit, I'll post a picture. don't know how old the IP is.

I'm at a loss of what to do. Should I try to advance timing more? Retard? Mess with the fuel screw?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

You must be registered for see images attach

http://youtu.be/LGN0wYSUW_k

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on ^^^^ this
Time it
Service all the filters
Check the ip for +100k miles and change it out( retime eng)
This is for starters.
My bet is ip-1 timing-2

Last edited:

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors came from Accurate Diesel.

$700 IP for starters? I'd hate to see where you'd go from there
What would filters have to do with the smoke? I'm not currently running WMO but the fuel filter on now has had it in there.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I honistly kinda wished mine sounded like that at idle just without the smoke.im gonna say it's possibly your ip but who did you get the injectors from.if it was just off ebay or somethin there probley no good but if there from Mel or someone we all know well and trust then it's still a possiblity but who knows

As for the filters as he was saying it could be old and clogged up.i don't think it would make it run that bad though just be gutless when you get on it
Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lack of fuel. Change the filter. Check fuel pressure after the filter, need min. 2 PSI up to 6 PSI.

To check the old filter. Remove the "tire valve" inside the Schrader valve, hook hose to it into a quart bottle, at idle you should get a pint in 15 seconds. Jerk wire off of the FSS, that'll shut her down. LOL

Don't say NEW injectors if they are so called rebuilt/remaned.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can't remember if accurate diesel is in the hall of shame or not.
The ip was probably the week link, then with new injectors put more strain on the pump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you 100% certain the injectors were NEW not a reman?

Yes IP could very well be the problem but when you calculate out 700/100,000 it works out faily good price.

Advancing the timjng....did uou use a meter? Did uou know where it was timed at prior to advancing it?

How many K on truck?

Likely a poor IP and poor timing

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The injectors are Remans, sorry for not clarifying. i researched Accurate Diesel before buying and nobody had anything real bad to say. there was a thread stating that reman injectors can be considered "better" since the spring inside is already broke in... or something to that effect. here it is: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?54914-G-code-remanned-injectors-a-different-approach

the timing was "static" when i started with both marks lined up perfectly. I did not use a meter, ive been going by ear, or more accurately, by sight using the two lines. I think its maxed out right now. there is about a dime width between the marks.

the truck has 41k on a full rebuild. not sure of total life miles. A weak IP has been in the back of mind since I got the truck, I just dont want to admit thats the case:puke:

for Ss&Gs I put the timing back to "0" today. it would fire but not run for more than a second at most. so I advanced it as far as I dare pull on the pump. that got rid of the rough idle at startup, but it still smokes like train!

would turning the fuel screw up or down help at all?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changing injectors will change your timing. If you want it right, you're going to have to time it with a meter. If the pump has ever been changed, the lines are virtually meaningless.

Reman injectors are generally considered a risky prospect.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Are you using any kind of alternate fuel?

It sounds like it's really retarded. You need to set the timing properly. Is that the original IP?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reman injectors are a compromise unless the tips are new. not refurbished. I will not be doing any remans without new tips , which should be available later this fall. Having messed with several hundred used injectors ,its nearly impossible to get a set of 8 cores to come to a decent spray pattern in one shot. The tips get worn and there is no way to properly "rebuild" them. You can really only clean and reset.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about rebuilt/remaned injectors this way.
You have to have a very clean room/shop to do that.
Takes about 15 minutes to tear one down and clean it, another 10 minutes to reassemble, another 5 minutes to pop test, adjust the pop pressure another 15 minutes (tear down/reassemble) another 5 minutes to pop test. Some people are faster then hell, maybe they can do the whole thing in 45 minutes. If there done in China, and pay the guy .10 cents an hour, but ya gotta ship both ways. New ones are the way to go, and there getting more expensive, there made in low wage countries. Think obsolesence.

Check this out. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?19805-The-Oilburners-hall-of-shame.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^ and thats why I am only going to rebui;d with new tips. Because most of the time the critical shapes on the nozzle and pintle are worn beyond any chance of a good spray pattern.