Need to own 7.3 PSD tools

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need any specialized tools for everyday maintenance on a PSD.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done turbo removal & repair with standard hand tools. Injector removal and installation did cost me a torque wrench that reads in in/lbs. but that was a $30 Harbor Freight purchase. Other than that, you can work on a PSD with your average shade tree mechanics set that most all of us have.

Flare nut wrenches are handy, a set of crows foot's can be useful as well as an assortment of Torx drivers but none are a must have.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
good deal. any 7.3 PSD engine itself.

Reason i ask is there are some speciality tools for the IDI, was curious if there as any for the 7.3 PSD. I guess a fan clutch wrench may be considered.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No specialty tools at all really, fan clutch wrench if you go the route of buying one. There are more specialty tools involved in an IDI if you don't just work without them.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
if it is 94-97 the fuel pump nut under the turbo pedistal is a major pain without an open end 1 1/4" open end/box end wrench. the glow plugs are easiest to get out with a 1/4" drive snap on 10mm deep well (thinner wall than craftsman)

Rose wood diesel makes an injector cup remover/installer set that is really killer if you have to do the injector cups.

punk