Need to fix a few things on our 92 F350

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a few questions about the new (to us) 1992 F350.

1) The transmission has over drive, what model transmission would that be?

2) The right rear door of the crew cab won't open or close. Whats odd is when I bought the truck the seller had all 4 doors open for me to look inside. As of now neither the outside handle or inside handle will open the door. How the heck do I get it open :dunno

3) The drivers side electric window zips up and down nicely while the passenger side electric window struggles to go up or down. Is it the motor or will something like a silicone spray in the window tracks solve the problem?

4) Towing mirrors. What options do I have for better mirrors? Right now I have an Extend-A-Mirror setup on the truck but would like some thing a little larger and more stable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brad

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have near about the same truck as you, although mine is a Excap and 2wd.

1. If it is manual then it is a ZD5 which is a great tranny.

2. The door handles might be inside the door jamb of the truck, I'm guessing I do not have rear doors.

3. You can try the silcon on the window track but more than likely it is the regulators.

4. LMC truck has the mirrors you want they are the standard OEM 3 point mount tow mirrors. Mine have the smaller mirror that extends off the side to lessen the blind spots.

Congrats on the new addition!

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On item #3, I'd check your switch before pulling the regulator.

My drivers window worked fine, then all of a sudden, it would go down, but not up. I took the connector loose and put a voltmeter on it. Going down, I got 12 volts...up was just 5. Replaced switch and was good to go. It was a LOT easier than trying to replace the regulator.

pafixitman

Reaction score
You have an E4OD automatic tranny. Keep the fluid cool and clean and you should be ok. As for the door, check the lock knob. My right rear lock sticks all of the time.

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I have the E40D transmission since its an automatic with Overdrive that you can switch on/off from the shift lever.

I'll definitely check the switch before pulling the regulator. I don't remember if I tried using the passenger side switch to see if it worked any better.

Unfortunately the truck is in Arkansas and I'm back in California to finish up my temporary work assignment. Should be able to check it out at Thanksgiving.

pafixitman, you might be right about the lock knob on the drivers side rear door as it was sticking some when it was cold. As for the passenger rear door if I remember right I didn't hear any sounds from it when I was operating the door lock switch. Is there a way to unlock the door without trying to dismantle the door with it closed?

Thanks!

Brad

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear door lock is probably stuck/locked about the window, the window channels might need silicone spray or lube. but if it goes down, but not up at all or up slow or skips these motors have plastic drive kits/pins that can be replaced cheap. but most people think they have to replace entire motor. which motor will fix problem but may only need plastic pins. the regulators done fail very often.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
the rear door lock is probably stuck/locked about the window, the window channels might need silicone spray or lube. but if it goes down, but not up at all or up slow or skips these motors have plastic drive kits/pins that can be replaced cheap. but most people think they have to replace entire motor. which motor will fix problem but may only need plastic pins. the regulators done fail very often.

I have a driver's side window that jumps, when you roll it all the way up. It will also get hung up when it's down and need help getting it back up. Do you think it's the plastic parts and where can one get them? This is on my 93.

Gary

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For the trans its a E4OD. About the window first try a narrow bar of soap. Rub it into the channel and then try the window. The rear door locks are electric motors. They do wear out. They are very hard to replace too but lets not go there just yet. You can reach the rods that make the door locks work if you remove the door panel. If the rear windows are hand roll up the handle has a cover that has to be slid over to get to the internal stem screw. Its a torq screw so don't try to use an allen wrench. It wont work. Also in the arm rest you will find the only screw that holds the panel in place. Its a phillips head. Remove that and then just pull the panel from a corner first. It will start poping the plastic tabs and easily come off. Thats about it for the doors...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Another quick trick fix on the rear door if it's the auto lock that's sticky is to have someone pushing the door unlock button down while one pulls up on the door lock stem on the affected door.
Then ya can get into the door panel to lube things up. Otherwise Gary has it nailed on disassembly.:thumbsup:

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a driver's side window that jumps, when you roll it all the way up. It will also get hung up when it's down and need help getting it back up. Do you think it's the plastic parts and where can one get them? This is on my 93.

Gary

hey i work at ford dealer, im sure all ford dealers have or can sell them. if your inclined to take motor off the reguator. then sit it on the bench with gear up. remove the single torx screw and remove metal cover around gear. inside you will find a big plastic gear that should have pockets for three plastic pins. the kits we sell are pins only and pins plus big plastic gear. if pins are broken they will be in a bunch of pieces. the tell tale sign that these are broken is a window that goes down then not up or it might jump or skip going up. and motor runs. when most pins break it usually hands on the window to get back up. and sometimes the glass may fall or start sliding down track on its own hitting bumps. sorry for the long post. :frustrate

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the tips on how to work on the doors and windows! The drivers side rear lock is definitely just sticking so hopefully that won't be to involved. The passenger side rear door doesn't seem to make a sound when activating the lock switch so I'm better something a little more drastic will need to be done.

Thanks again!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online