Need some opinions guys

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I listed my 94 CCLB for sale on CL yesterday and had someone looking at it within an hour and a half. I'm 99% sure he's going to buy it this evening. I'm looking for a dually, to tow our fiver and need some opinions on how this thing might do.

I weighed the fiver a couple weeks ago and it's right at 11,500lbs. My only concern is, that it's 2wd. When I park our fiver here, I usually use 2lo to back it up the hill and into it's spot. With this being 2wd, I won't have the low gear.

Here's a pic of where I have to shove the fiver. There's no asphalt on that part of the hill yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a pic of the 94 IDI that I'm looking at buying:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's currently listed on ebay HERE

Do you guys think it'll do what I need, or should I just stick with a 4x4?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dual out the 4x4;Sweet
here's the grocery list......
1- pickup dually rear axle
1- pickup dually bed.
2- dually front hub adapters(steel only no alu)
6- dually wheels.
done:D

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
dual out the 4x4;Sweet
here's the grocery list......
1- pickup dually rear axle
1- pickup dually bed.
2- dually front hub adapters(steel only no alu)
6- dually wheels.
done:D

That thought had crossed my mind, but with me having a whole lot of nonexistent spare time, I don't think it's do-able....

Great idea though!!! ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought, if you can live without actually having four wheel drive, would be to put in a 4x4 tranny and a transfer case just for the low range, without a front axle or driveshaft or such? I dunno; may be more trouble than it's worth...a Brownie box would be ideal, but the 4x4 tranny/transfer case would involve less fabrication...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
7 dually wheels.. Ya needs a spare...:D My wag is what about a US Gear adapter trans. They are all gears and they work on 1st gear from the start.. Maybe they work on reverse too...:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
X2 on the 3 speed brownie box ;Sweet
I just love mine. I use to have nightmares getting my trailers poked into and out of my yard. I smoked my old dual mass flywheel trying to get my carhauler out onto the road one night when the overload protection section gave out in it.

That low range on my brownie is simply a joy, just let out the clutch and walk it in :D Between the low gearing and the four mudders I have on the back, I have some insane traction. Might as well be 4x4. I drug my trailer through my sisters field out in Texas when it was good and gooey muddy near up to the axle and didn't have a bit of trouble, and that was with my posi worn out, I really can't wait to get into something messy now that I've rebuilt the thing :sly

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 dually wheels.. Ya needs a spare...:D My wag is what about a US Gear adapter trans. They are all gears and they work on 1st gear from the start.. Maybe they work on reverse too...:dunno
I'm not sure a U.S. Gear underdrive would give him a deep enough gear for what he wants to do. With that said, I think it can be shifted at any speed and can certainly be used at any speed....I don't know if it's safe to shift from low to high (or vice-versa) while in reverse, but to my understanding, you can use it in either setting in reverse..

Exekiel69

Reaction score
My choice is to convert the srw to DRW like Towcat already posted, it isn't so involved and many things stay on the same spot just bigger.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
ewww,My wallet shutters thinking of the E4OD rebuilds backing that monster trailer up that hill.THe E4OD don't like reverse.....

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
ewww,My wallet shutters thinking of the E4OD rebuilds backing that monster trailer up that hill.THe E4OD don't like reverse.....

Yep.... Couple that with the 3.55's in the truck and it's a recipe for disaster!

When he told me it had 3.55's in it, my heart sank....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 3.55 gears and reverse will boil the trans... Then you have a gas 460 motor.... Time to pass this truck on to the next guy. I'm really thinking about changing my 3.55 gears for 3.73 or 4.10 gears.... The GV will controll the rpm nicely...

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Even with 4.10 in the Chevy (toyhauler @ 9k lbs), it doesn't like to back uphill without getting a run at it. Brownie box would be a good choice (Anyone have an extra?).

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
The 3.55 gears and reverse will boil the trans... Then you have a gas 460 motor.... Time to pass this truck on to the next guy. I'm really thinking about changing my 3.55 gears for 3.73 or 4.10 gears.... The GV will controll the rpm nicely...

I asked the guy to clarify... It's a turbo 7.3 IDI