Need some knowledge

86bullnose4x4

Reaction score
I'm still learning so I'm seeking knowledge on the 1983-1986 f250 4x4 steering. How does the factory parts hold up to off-road/overlanding? What are the recommended parts to replace and what brands are recommended? I do plan on keeping my dana50 and I'm already aware redhead has the better steering box option.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re fine. You already know about the red head. I’d swap to a collapsible shaft and rag joint delete if you end up doing the box. Otherwise 32, 33s it’s not going to feel it.

86bullnose4x4

Reaction score
You’re fine. You already know about the red head. I’d swap to a collapsible shaft and rag joint delete if you end up doing the box. Otherwise 32, 33s it’s not going to feel it.
Why a collapsible shaft and rag joint? I ask cause I'm not that experienced yet still learning.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rag joint delete, will take the some slop out of your original steering
Old trucks require slop in the steering. It's an unwritten but completely understood and accepted law of the universe. You haven't lived until a rag joint has come apart and allowed you to be scared to death by having to drive without any control into a ditch........rag joint delete.......pagh!.....

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading this thread last week and then my truck broke down on Sunday.
The flatbed guy that came to pick me up was having me steer it onto the ramp from a bad angle and I had no power.
I was horsing the wheel with both hands and thinking about this post and my rag joint. Not fun.

86bullnose4x4

Reaction score
Instead of posting a whole new thread I'm just adding to my existing one. Does anyone know if the stage 3 south bend clutch and flywheel kit on classic diesel design will work with the 6.9 and a 4 speed and a 5 speed later down the road??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online