need some help working the bugs out!

RtpLandscaping

Reaction score
im a new member of the forum but have been coming here to read post for awhile. i just recently bought my first 6.9 idi and i need to get it up on the road. i bought it non-running. after a few short test i found out it needs an injection pump. but im also having a glow plug issue. i replaced all 8 glow plugs just to know i have new glow plugs in it. when i go to crank over the motor the wts light comes on and goes off about 3-4 seconds later. does anyone know what may be causeing this problem/ what is not working properly that the glow plugs are not cycling the full amount of time?

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
as for the GP issue... the 6.9 controllers are problematic. You can convert to the 7.3 system or put them on a toggle switch.

RtpLandscaping

Reaction score
so your saying the controllers bad? im kind of a little scared of putting it to a switch because i would put it on then my phone would ring like it does every ten seconds and i would forget and would be doing gp's on it once a week

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
so your saying the controllers bad? im kind of a little scared of putting it to a switch because i would put it on then my phone would ring like it does every ten seconds and i would forget and would be doing gp's on it once a week

Momentary toggle my friend;Sweet

RtpLandscaping

Reaction score
well im doing a complete resto so i want it all done correctly. what is involved in doing the 7.3 gp controller swap? what era 7.3 is it from

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any glow plug controller from any 7.3 will be what your looking for. Then you will need a glow plug wireing harness because the plug have a differant end on them. the 6.9 has a spade connecter and the 7.3 have a bullet connecter end. Ebay is the best place to find these parts and uasully they are cheap till you buy the glow plugs. Those need to be the Motorcraft ZD9 plugs. nothing else works very well. usually any other plug burns out quickly and swells up in the heads. then you may have to pull the heads to remove them...