Need some help with a fuel gauge issue, read carefully.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gauge on the dash isn't reading the fuel level now. Hasn't for a few weeks now.

I know there's fuel in there, I typically run the front fuel tank unless I go on long trips.

I took the sender out from the front tank a while back to put the lock ring back in place after it had popped off. After doing that, the gauge doesn't read. I have no fuel level indication now on either tank.

The fuses in the fuse box are just fine.

I can hear the fuel selector valve working when I switch tanks but again, no fuel level indication.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is it a simple fix? Is it related to the fuel selector valve?

I'm planning a drive to Idaho this next weekend and would like to have this ironed out before then.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the wiring for the sender got disturbed enough so it got loose somewhere? Pull the harness off the sender and test it for continuity and the sender for resistance, with a bit of luck that will help you figure out where the problem is.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the IVR on the back of the instrument cluster? So if you're a Russian Cowboy, do you pa russki?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely to be the IVR. Pull the plug off of the FSV, and with someone looking at the guage and the ignition on, ground the yellow/white wire. This should make the gauge read full. If it does, your problem is the switch, or the senders. If it doesn't, your problem is the gauge.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give that a try tonight Mel, thanks for the information. It's probably something stump simple that's wrong.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed last night that the sender is blown. Ordered another one from LMC Truck but it set me back 200 bucks! GGGGRRRRRRRR

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin