Need Help...can barely rotate spindles

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
This started out with steering box. It's gone to tierod ends. Now we're realizing that with the tierods disconnected from the spindle, we can barely rotate the spindle at all.

I don't know how the powersteering even turned this thing.

I haven't worked on something this big before, so is this normal? With a 6 foot bar, we can rotate the spindle about the kingpin. This is way too difficult correct? Up on jackstands obviously.

Any info would be very helpful. I have the rest of tonight in my friends garage, then I've got to get this thing out of here.

For now, should I maybe just install the tierod ends and then rotate back and forth spraying wd40? The kingpin grease fitting won't accept any grease.

Jeff

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds like the typical galled king pins. They will get worse without grease.

You are going to have to get grease in there. May be able to change the grease zerks or you may have to apply heat. It may already be to late and you need to make sure it doesn't have nylon bushings instead of brass before applying too much heat. As I said, may be too late, you may already need new king pins and bushings.

Good luck!

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
They should spin freely correct?

I think I need to replace the kingpins either way (though I've been reading horror stories about the task and I'm not so sure I want to.) We were hoping to take the van on a road trip tomorrow, but there's no way I can replace them in time. Otherwise we'll take the other, much smaller car.

If I can get the spindles spinning more freely with grease, do you think it will be unsafe?

The new tierod ends have lifetime warrantee... :) so i'm not too worried about ruining them again.

How can I tell which bushings I have, will it be obvious?

~Jeff

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is your E350, it should have balljoints by '90. talk you into posting a pic of the "I"beam and spindle area? something doesn't add up here.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
ball joints or kingpins, you should be able to move (pivot/steer) either by hand. on mine i can spin the whole steering assembly including the steering wheel if the front is off the ground.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Alright cool.

I think I got some nomenclature wrong. I've got balljoints on the tierods, but I thought the pin that the spindle rotates on was called the kingpin. Whatever that's called, that's what I'm talking about. Not the tierod end that rotates it.

Either way, we were barely able to finish anything last night, so we'll definately be taking the car on this trip, not the van. Thanks for the help guys. Once I'm back I'll probably be posting again cause I'll have to replace those pins and it didn't look like they were going to come out very easily.

~Jeff

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeff-
balljoints are a dream to replace compared to kingpins. Unfortunately, they don't "last" as long. Getting a balljoint press for the job will cut down your time imensely.;Sweet

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
jeff-
balljoints are a dream to replace compared to kingpins. Unfortunately, they don't "last" as long. Getting a balljoint press for the job will cut down your time imensely.;Sweet

I am still not sure what he has! :dunno I think as you said, we are going to need pictures to help on this one!!! :D

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
hey guys

just got back from vacation (internetless.)

So I went to advance auto and they sell the "King Bolt" set, with bushings, etc. which, from the picture they had is what I need. So I think it's a kingpin that i'm replacing (from the looks of it, it's not going to be a dream to replace.)

I don't have a digital camera, but I'll try and bum one off someone.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Here are some photos

hey guys,

Been busy moving into a new place...haven't slept in a few days.

I realized now that I should have said that I only have RWD on the van. It's not a 4x4. I think this is where the confussion has come from.

here's a few photos

http://www.rpi.edu/~mossj/Spindle Photos/

I think this is still going to be a difficult task. I asked some local repair places if they'd replace my "kingpins" and I got two "no"s and a "maybe, come back when the manager's here."

If there's any way I can do it myself without spending a whole week under the van with a sledge hammer, I'll do it.

Any advice? Btw, it's not accepting any grease.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. you've got kingpins.
now the bad news. i wouldn't drive the truck anymore until they are replaced. Why? there will come a day when you will try to turn and they will lock up on you. Welcome to your new wreck.
Worse news. Any machine shop monkey can replace the kingpins. A old-timer who knows his **** will be able to hone the bronze sleeves to three thou of clearence so your job will last darn near forever. Btw...there's nylon bushing kingpins kits out there. they're junk. you'll be doing the job again faster than if you had ball joints.
What you need to do. Find a heavy truck suspension and frame shop. They can handle a kingpin job. If they have old-timers in the pits, you struck gold. If there are a bunch of snot-nosed baggy-panted kids in the pit...run. I know one shop left in my area that is full of cranky old-timers and they are always busy even though the shop looks like hell. The spiffy-clean shop across town often closes early in the afternoon due to the lack of work.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
Is there no way I can do this myself?

When do you hone the bushings, after they're pressed in? If I get the spindle off and put the new ones in, could I bring it to be honed? or do I have to hone the one on the I beam as well?

Is it 3 thousanths clearance diameter or radius?

The problem is that I have very little money, so anything I can get done myself or cheaper I'll do (as long as it is quality work of course.) There's a heavy truck place down the road, but they said that they won't have time to look at it for like 3 weeks. They also said that they charge by the hour and wouldn't give me a guess as to how much they'd charge me.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reamers alone would exceed the cost of bringing it in for someone to do it for you. Also, at this point, you will need a really large press to press out the galled pins.
I can understand being tight on funds. If I was you in your shoes, I'd be heading out to the wrecking yard and pulling a set of Ibeams and spindle assys of a van that is in better shape.
This is not and I repeat, this is not a DIY job. Even seasoned mechanics don't like doing this one.

JeffMoss1

Jeff
Reaction score
I might have the reamers and I also have access to a 100 ton press. The only thing is whether or not the bushings need to be honed before or after they're pressed in. The set up for doing them while in the whole assembly is the thing I can't do.

Maybe I can take the I-beam spindle assemblies off, get the pins out, and then get them reassembled professionally with new pins and bushings. That'd probably cut down on my cost don't you think?