Navistar stops production of diesels for Ford

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh boy. Neither are in a postion to be monkeying around if you ask me. Didn't Cummins just top IH again for HP and Torque?

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
I suppose they have agreed to disagree--Ford quit paying their bill, and Navistar quit sending engines and parts!!

It will be interesting to see who flinches first!!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yeah, it'll be interesting,to say the least.

Navistar is still pissed because of the $200 million they lost developing a V6 diesel for Ford in '02, and Ford canceled out on them.

Ford is still pissed because they figure Navistar should pay for part of the $200 million in warranty claims on the 6.0

Like Gabby said, "Lets see who flinches first".

I'd tend to think Ford has more to lose in this battle. They can't afford to have the New Super Duty fail. Especially at this time in their corporate life.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To keep the pickup line moving Ford has stopped taking orders for the F 350-F 450 Diesel cutaway chassis. School buses and such. No body else makes a chassis to replace the F 450 until next year when GMC/chevy will introduce their answer to the F-450 van cutaway in gas and later diesel.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Christ.... Maybe i should go sell my truck while i still can???

I was planning one day when i had enough money to fix my truck up and complerely rebuild everything, but at this rate, parts will be impossible to find and/or super expensive...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is navistar the only one that can build this engines for ford?

Prolly so.....It's Navistars engine design...IIRC it's their Maxforce 7, 6.4 liter engine with a couple changes to it for Ford and there would probably be a hell of a lawsuit if somebody else started building it for Ford.

IMHO both of these companies need to pull their heads out of their 4th point of contact (paratrooper speak for @$$) in the financial conditions they are in.

Christ.... Maybe i should go sell my truck while i still can???

I was planning one day when i had enough money to fix my truck up and complerely rebuild everything, but at this rate, parts will be impossible to find and/or super expensive...

That's why I'm sticking too the 7.3 for a while, lots of stuff available and there are enough out there that the aftermarket will take it up. I personnally don't see thais as a issue as I had no trouble finding reasonable priced parts for a 1968 Dodge 230 military spec 6 cylinder flathead I rebuilt, restored and sold a couple years ago and that engine had been out of production for 30+ years.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's bad...that's really bad. From what little I know, Navistar is the strong partner here...Ford is losing money like its going out of style, while Nav. could probably survive with their heavy duty diesel, medium duty and school bus markets. It has little effect on us IDI guys I would imagine...since new parts for the IDIs are probably not being made by Ford anyway and should continue from IH since they have plenty of customers with 6.9 and 7.3 motors out there still, and then there is the aftermarket.

93_E_350

7.3 IDI NA
Reaction score
If this wouldn’t have happened I probably would have bought a 94 come spring…

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guys....I don't ge tthe panick here down in the basementcookoo
production has stopped on these motors back in 1994. we are entirely supported by the aftermarket for our parts and there's nothing wrong with that fact. After all, the OEM's are using the same suppliers that call themselves "aftermarket" for years. There's no need to panic whatsoever just because IH is not supplying darkside motors. Ford has turned their backs on these trucks back in 1998 when the newer body style was introduced. Enjoy what we have since we have our own network outside of the stealership already;Sweet

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:D
guys....I don't ge tthe panick here down in the basementcookoo
production has stopped on these motors back in 1994. we are entirely supported by the aftermarket for our parts and there's nothing wrong with that fact. After all, the OEM's are using the same suppliers that call themselves "aftermarket" for years. There's no need to panic whatsoever just because IH is not supplying darkside motors. Ford has turned their backs on these trucks back in 1998 when the newer body style was introduced. Enjoy what we have since we have our own network outside of the stealership already;Sweet

Maybe Calvin is back over in the old country trying to line up a few connections from where the new 6.0 and newer trucks will be getting warranty parts
:D :D

blg jake

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work in Ford's casting and engine assembly plants. There's a lot more to building an engine than having a design. There are billions of dollars of special tooling involved. Which is why even if Ford had their own diesel engine designed, it would take quite a while to get it into production. They DO have the capacity and floor space to do it (in Cleveland) it would just take time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online