My pyrometer install

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To prepare for the pending arrival of a Baby Moose pump, I decided to install a pyrometer. Got an ISSOPRO model R3607T, which is one with the big clunky amplifier box. The drill and tap of the manifold, feared the most, was plumb easy, took maybe 15 min. Snaked the lead wire up through rubber grommet where speedometer cable (I think that is what it is) comes in. Have wires all worked around for a dash mount, with the amplifier box just wire tied to the wiring harness under the dash, which will be fine I think. Was originally planning to mount on the dash about 10:00 of steering wheel, using a gauge cup, but, the cup is not deep enough for the studs in the rear of the gauge, could cut them off, but then space for the wiring would seem limited, plus, about 4 or 5 inches out of the gauge is a large 4 prong plug to join with the harness from the amplifier box, and it would be laying on the dash with this plan (ugly).

Started thinking of different options. The typical being a dash top pod, the A pillar setup, or a bracket at bottom edge of dash. Another would be to make a hole in the dash panel just to the right of the steering column, seems like plenty of room back there for it, but visibility not the best, I need to lift my head and look through steering wheel to see it there. If anyone else has mounted this style gauge, please post the pros/cons of how your installation location worked for you.

Wiring has also been a bit of a puzzle. I found that fuse 10, which controls dash dimming, will be perfect for a blade fuse tap for the back light cicuit for the gauge. It will come on only with the lights, and provides dimming. Power for the amplifier, I think will come from a splice into the cigarette lighter wire, which I think is only on when the key is.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Nice, in Kalispell here, BlackDawg is south of Missoula. One other is in Havre and one other in Glasgow. We need more Montana people on here!

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping the missing posts might show up, but since not...here goes again.

Finally got the pyrometer all hooked up and went for a test drive. Truck is the one in my signature, NA 7.3 with E4OD.

Idling and warmed up = 210*
going 35 mph down gravel road ~ 325*
accelerating out onto black top climbs to 600* then drops to 350* when I steady out at 55 mph
Turn north bound onto I-15, set cruise on 65 mph:
800* on the flats, then 900 -950* as starting up south side of North Hill, at 1150* I hit the OD off button to shift to 3rd, temps drop to ~ 1050* to the top and instantly drop to ~ 300* after crest.

Turn at the Gates of the Mountains exit and head back south bound.
Punch hard to merge in ahead of some traffic, temps climb to 950 - 1000*, then drop to ~ 800* as I hold steady at 65 mph, in 4th. I hold throttle to stay at 65 mph and start up the hill (The North Hill on the north side has 3 pitches with two less steep grades between.) Temp climbs steady to 1200* so I hit the OD off button, holding still close to 65 mph temps fluctuate from 1050 - 1100* depending if I am on steep pitch or gentler part. At the top, I turn OD back on, crest hill and temps drop to ~350* going down.

In the past, I just left truck on cruise on this hill, and it pulled it at 65 mph, and now I know I was probably very high on exhaust temps doing so. Ignorance was bliss. Those who have said every IDI needs a pyro, regardless if turboed or NA, are dead on right.

On a side note, my Baby Moose arrived today (thanks Mel) so now I just need better weather or some shop space. Also, check out my new Cooper Maxx tires.

Attachments

• cooper maxx.jpg
    cooper maxx.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 39

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All those temp readings look normal to me. Sure is nice to know what your engine is doing.

foresterdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true, it is nice to know.

Regarding these temps., at this point, I really have no idea where the timing is. The conventional wisdom here is that an older IP probably is retarded, and retarded tends to deliver higher temps to the probe. It will be interesting this spring when I do get my new IP and injectors in, and time it correctly, to see if the same trip delivers different temps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70