My noisy ZF5 story.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm going on my third day of bed rest dealing with the worst flu/cold I've ever had. Half conscious and heavily sedated I thought it would be a good time to share my story. This is a long one so I won't feel bad if you don't read it lol.

Back in 2010 I bought my 91 Crew Cab. One of the first things I noticed during the test drive was the excessive transmission/clutch noise. Looking over the service history I noticed the clutch had been replaced and transmission had been rebuilt at 164k miles. It was showing somewhere around 215-220k when I signed the title. So the clutch lasted 50 or so thousand miles huh... Anyway I knew the DMF had a bad reputation and I was working 7 day weeks so I paid a reputable shop to swap the clutch out to a South Bend with the single mass flywheel.

I picked my truck up from the shop and the owner showed me the old DMF which was about to grenade. That's when he told me my transmission was making a LOT of noise. He said this was one of many SMF conversions he's done but none of them sounded like this. He felt bad (we both figured the noise was coming from the flywheel) and told me he would cut me a good deal on rebuilding the transmission if I decided to go that route. Well during the ride home I thought the transmission was going to explode--literally explode. I drained the oil and it looked really bad. I decided to go a different route and top it off with a 50w industrial oil from Mobil that was a similar viscosity as 50w ATF. Now the transmission was only noisy when lugging it or driving at slow speeds---fair enough. I turned up the idle and that helped a little bit. Cold weather shifting took some getting used to.

I've never ridden in another IDI with this combo so I didn't know what to think.. After searching to the end of the interwebs I decided the noise was probably normal. Everyone seemed to agree the SMF makes the ZF5 noisy so for the last 30,000 miles I have tried my best to ignore it. Fast forward to December 2013. A friend bought a 91 IDI like mine and a week later locked up and exploded the input bearing in the trans. If figured I'd better check my oil...

Unscrew the fill plug. Nothing. Dip the short end of the allen wrench in. Nothing. Dip the long end of the allen wrench in. Nothing. Drain the trans and find less than two quarts of oil come out... You're kidding me right? Not once have I seen a drop of oil on the driveway and I know I filled it all the way full. I figured it pumped into the transfer case. I check the t-case and it was right were it needed to be. Uh :dunno

Pissed off and wondering what kind of permanent damage I did to the trans I go to Wally World and buy the cheapest ATF they have. I fill it up then try to reinstall the shifter boot and completely destroy it--ugh. I decide I don't have time to fiddle with it and just bought a new boot from the dealer. $90 later I have a completely upgraded-redesigned boot that looks to be 100 times better than the original. Fresh ATF. Check. New shifter boot with upgraded sound dampening features. Check.

Now the part you'e been waiting for: It's a whole new truck. Transmission is quiet and I do mean QUIET. Even at an idle with the clutch out it I can barely hear roll-over. No more moaning and groaning rattle and shake and it shifts great ;Sweet It went from dump truck to grandpa cruiser that fast.

Moral; Use ATF in a ZF5 (because that's what it was designed for....weird) and check the level often. Oh and $90 is a lot of money don't get me wrong but that newer boot design is a winner.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet! there is hope. Got a noisy zf myself. Got a part number for the new boot? I have some amsoil to put in my transmission but haven't done it yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Checking the fluid levels is a preventive maintenance item. I call it pm for short. When I do mine I feel rewarded when I find something thats not right. Its at that point I make a decision if I can drive or fix whats not correct. Call it triage or whatever. Its far better to know than to guess.. i

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So, did you just not fill it up to the proper level that first time? Where did the oil go otherwise?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Apparently the synthetic atf that the diesel zf's call for is even better than the cheap atf.
At least so I've heard.

Any pics of the boot?
What makes it "upgraded?"

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any pics of the boot?
What makes it "upgraded?"
Seconded the request for pictures...$90 may not be cheap, but it sounds like it's money well spent ;Sweet Is this the inner boot or the outer boot, or did you replace both?

Great story and information...thank you for writing it! ;Sweet

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the noise is just being covered up by the boot? Keep an eye on fluid levels, cause I bet it is still going to leak.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the boot p/n is in the parts bin. if you own a manual trans, spend the freakin' money. it's very well worth it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rot box - You make reference to the boot being new and improved. What features did you notice about it that were different from your original boot? When I buy a boot I want to make sure i'm getting the new one and not some old revision part.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the original part in my opinion. New is new. Old is old.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Thanks guy's ;Sweet

I looked for the box the boot came in and I must have thrown it away. Anyway it was listed as the outer boot at the Ford dealership. It came with the large black accordion boot, screws, new plastic mounting flange and the new sound barrier.

Nrliftedranger the boot in the eBay link would probably fit but it appears to be missing the 'new and improved' part. The new one has a big squishy rubber type of material inside of it. Kinda hard to explain bit it fits tightly around the shift shaft and also works as a large gasket against the floor pan. My old boot did not have this it was there was just a piece of foam that sat in there but didn't really seal against anything. Huge improvement. Cancelled out the road noise as well. For me it was a lot of cash to fork out and the wife is still pissed lol but it was more than worth it. Kind of a pain to install..

Here we go: See the white element on the bottom? http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-71090-superduty-6-speed-manual-shifter-boot.html That is a big ol' squishy rubber, foam, flubber gasket. That one is for the six speed though... Not sure if they're the same.

As for the fluid being low I'm dumbfounded. I know I filled it up using the fill plug (suuurrrrreee I did LOL). I keep thinking maybe it got hot and pushed fluid out but it doesn't really make sense. If a seal was blown I'd see bright red ATF everywhere... Well I'll keep a very close eye on it anyway and hope for the best.

Thanks guys

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my projects is putting in a low fluid level alarm on a ZF - figured out how to do it but didn't have the sensor to install when I put the truck together the last time.

What I did is mounted a small float switch on one of the PTO plates - there's barely enough room for one to fit in there. I'll see if I have pics when I get home. Seems like it should work well but I never actually tested it.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boot keeps out a TON of noise. mine isnt screwed down and when it moves you can hear road and tranny noise. when its butted up against the carpet its nice n quiet.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boot keeps out a TON of noise. mine isnt screwed down and when it moves you can hear road and tranny noise. when its butted up against the carpet its nice n quiet.
X2 on that...I drove a truck with an IDI and known good ZF5 that had no outer boot (or any other insulation) installed. The noise compared to my truck was very surprising. Taught me a good lesson about how important that boot is for keeping the cabin semi-civilized...I had previously toyed with the idea of putting in one of those aftermarket leather shift boots to replace the accordion style boot; I'm thoroughly cured of that now :shocked: (maybe I'll try putting one in over the factory boot someday?)

Could be worse, though; I once took the rear seat and all the accompanying insulation off an M-B, then had to drive the car to work and back. The differential's bolted to the subframe, with CV joint axles connecting it to the wheels...and, even with a good rubber mount, the noise that transmitted into the cabin was bad enough that I thought the differential was failing :shocked: put the insulation and seat back in, and it was back to being quiet...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online