MY NEW STEREO

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an up-date on my lengthy question-filled thread of some time ago.

Here is the original thread :

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?58739-gt-gt-gt-RADIO-STEREO-lt-lt-lt

Thank you, one and all, for your patience and helpful information throughout this thread.

At first, I sort of figured I would go whole-hog with an amp and all the extras.

But, like several suggested, my world was so much better after just swapping in my four new speakers that I decided an up-graded head-unit would probably be as far as I needed to go.

My new door speakers (not in the factory holes, but relocated into new holes elsewhere in the doors) :

PIONEER 6-1/2" 3-ways TS-A1674R

My new surface-mount rear/sleeper speakers :

PIONEER TS-X200

Just adding these new speakers improved my listening enjoyment 3749% over what I had been used to.

Even my un-impressible wife says that I should have replaced the speakers years before; that is more of an endorsement than underwriters laboratories.

Then, I got the wife a brand-new PIONEER DEH-X6500BT head-unit and installed it in her 1991 Dodge/Cummins; so far just connected to whatever four speakers that were in the truck when we bought it, maybe original factory and maybe not.

That thing ROCKS; I mean, I didn't know what decent stereo was before this.

Besides sounding better than anything I ever heard before, it does more tricks than we will ever figure out how to make it do.

And then the big grin came when she paired her phone to it and received a call through the stereo - - - - AWESOME !!!

In less time than it takes me to type this, I had a second one on the way and it now resides in my truck.

I thought the one in her truck sounded good; but, mine, coupled to the four PIONEER speakers, is TOTALLY AWESOME !!!!!

My previous stereo, even with the new PIONEER speakers just needed quite a bit more "punch" to be heard above the roar of the engine, especially considering I am deaf as a post.

This new PIONEER unit is louder at 1/5 it's capability than my previous unit was with the volume maxxed out.

And, it is clear as a bell; no matter how high I go with the volume, there is no buzz, just clear music.

The wife paired my antique Motorola Trac-Phone with the stereo (she's way smarter than me); and, I programmed my entire "phone book" of contacts, all two of them, to the pre-set station buttons.

I press the phone picture, press either station button 1 or 2, then press the big round knob, and presto, my call is made.

This will be really convenient sometime in the next few years when I actually have reason to call someone; maybe I will just call someone to see how well all this works.

One bit of wisdom I will impart :

I have always hard-wired both of the power wires to any of my radios to always-HOT, such that no key is necessary to listen to the radio.

However, these modern wonder stereos cannot be truly turned OFF whenever the "ign" wire is HOT; even when supposedly OFF, the face remains lit up like down-town Louisville and the clock remains lit.

So, to get around this, I mounted a SPST toggle-switch hanging downward through that flat plastic over-hang just above the radio.

I routed the RED "ign"wire through this toggle-switch, before splicing it to the always-HOT YELLOW wire.

Actually, I wish I had of done this years ago; it is way easier to flip that big toggle, than it is to work a smallish ON/OFF switch on the radio.

When I want the stereo truly OFF, I flip my toggle-switch OFF; when I want it ON, I flip the toggle ON.

I can listen to the stereo even if the switch-keys went down with the Titanic.

One big advantage that my old Walmart-special stereo had that I retained and used when installing my new PIONEER was two separate pig-tail connectors, NOT factory wiring adapters, but good old no-nonsense male/female multi-pin plugs; one handles all the power and GROUND wires, the other handles all of the speaker wires.

I have one question; the manual makes much mention of listening to music stored on flash-drives and USB devices; how do I go about obtaining such that is loaded with my kind of music ??

I am well pleased with my new stereo. ;Sweet

Thanks for reading.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go buy a USB thumb drive load your music on it from you computer and stick it into the new head unit. If your not sure ask wife, sounds like she's on top of the techy stuff already pairing phones and head units etc.

I'm glad that the NEW speaks improved the listening, cause I think I said start there before anything else.

Sounds like an endorsement from wifey is the quintessential monumental pivotal point of no return. Glad she likes it too!

Glad she likes her new head unit now go get some speakers for her too! She'll love you long time!

Enjoy the new improved system and when you want, throw a small amp 150 watts and a small sub 8 or 10 inch in a box and have some reasonable bass!

JM2CW

Al

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy a USB thumb drive load your music on it from you computer and stick it into the new head unit.

How do I go about getting said music in the computer ??

Do I have to buy the songs I want or how does this work ??

I have a stack of vinyl, a ton of 8-tracks, many many cassettes, and maybe five C.D.s

The wife got me a really neat machine that transfers all this onto home-made C.D.s and it has been keeping me occupied on rainy nights.

Thanks.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rip the CD's into MP3 format and then transfer that to the USB flash drive. I do believe that Windows Media player will do it for you and if you don't like it there are a ton of free programs to do this on the web that you can download - check out CNET and see what they have to offer for software that will rip CD's to MP3. I have done this will all my old CD's and transfer them to my phone so that I can listen to them anywhere (bike - truck - car - walking)....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one question; the manual makes much mention of listening to music stored on flash-drives and USB devices; how do I go about obtaining such that is loaded with my kind of music ??

How do I go about getting said music in the computer ??

Do I have to buy the songs I want or how does this work ??

I have a stack of vinyl, a ton of 8-tracks, many many cassettes, and maybe five C.D.s

The wife got me a really neat machine that transfers all this onto home-made C.D.s and it has been keeping me occupied on rainy nights.

Thanks.

Go buy a USB thumb drive load your music on it from you computer and stick it into the new head unit. If your not sure ask wife, sounds like she's on top of the techy stuff already pairing phones and head units etc.
l

In all likely hood that machine can do whats needed, :rtfm Ask the WIFE;Sweet

CD's can be ripped to Windows Media Player or iTunes or or or, just about any audio player you may use, Winamp etc. Same with those 8 Tracks and vinyl records, it's all a matter of :rtfm of the machine and such.

JM2CW

Al