My new L8000 dumper, any suggestions?

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
its a shame btw, that it has to be so underpowered. everything else works like a champ. I've way overloaded the bed and it lifts it up like there's nothing back there. Its got a little shake @ 40 mph, but I think its because the right side front tire is @ 20 lbs low. The air line I tried pumping it up with only went up to about 85, it calls for 105.

as far as the engine, it does fire right up, even when it was 25deg out.
@ 95k miles, I'd like to think 9g's delivered to my drive from frankfurt ky was a pretty good deal.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
I think Tonkadoc and I have been cruising the same sites....
lookie....
http://www.dieselenginemotor.com/diesel/engines/716,1.html

LOL LOL I love that site, always browse it for the EMD and Alco Gensets. ya know, one of those if I have money and my own ranch out West deals.. I'll have a big genset too. ;Really :thumbsup:

In all actuality, I just cruise it to see what the engine market is doing. :flush

No suggestions for the dump other than to repower it, but with what, I wouldnt know.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
ok someone mentioned today at church that I chip it...was that even possible in 91? I didn't think they were computer controlled yet, but hell, if I didn't know what engine it was, what do I know.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok someone mentioned today at church that I chip it...was that even possible in 91? I didn't think they were computer controlled yet, but hell, if I didn't know what engine it was, what do I know.

Puttin' a bag of chips in the intake will clog the air filterLOL

As far as an engine swap goes.... IMHO it'd be a big waste of money having that low of miles on it. I'd run it as is until it puked or sell it and get what I really wanted. Swaps ain't cheap in these things but are doable.

Bell housing will be SAE sized so it's easy to find something to bolt up to the tranny.

As far as power mods for this engine you might try and find a school bus forum. Lot's of these engines in busses and plenty of independants that own them.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
The fuel pump is all mechanical, most new dieselers think the "chip it" thing. The pump can be turned up some, but the exhaust temps will get pretty high while pulling loads. You would have to do quite a bit of work to it to get 300hp out of it.

maniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as an engine swap goes.

Most Fords had unique features on the engines, both Cummins Detroit,and Cat, because of the cab/frame configuration, if you look at an L9000 road tractor, you will see that the engine is slanted to one side, requiring a whole lot of special pieces, different fan hubs, oil pans, and alternator and a/c mounts, bell housings, etc.

Way more trouble than it would ever be worth.

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
The fuel pump is all mechanical, most new dieselers think the "chip it" thing. The pump can be turned up some, but the exhaust temps will get pretty high while pulling loads. You would have to do quite a bit of work to it to get 300hp out of it.

ok, so how do I turn the pump up...
and what kinda work could I do, larger turbo, exhaust, injectors?

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I have seen some of those driver's side turbo diesels. The one I saw in paticular was in fact a Cummins, with a Ford badge on it. It is an 7.8L Cummins, and to get some info on it, check out www.dieselinjection.net.

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
The engine was exclusively made for Ford, in the mid 80's in to the early 90's. Production of this particular engine didn't last long (not a popular engine, and the B and C series Cummins offered more grunt anyway).

Ak HDM

Reaction score
I know Ford used engines from the farm tractor division for a while, I used a mechanics truck for Kiewit Pacific that had a tractor engine. The engine in timntools' rig sure looks like the tractor division engine.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
I have the same engine in my truck, 6.6l. At home I have the link to turn it up to 600hp. Hope you have an intercooler. The injector pump is almost exactly the same as a P-pump on a 5.9. It is the generation before the ones in the second gen Dodges. Two screws and you'll be pukin engine parts everywhere if not careful. You can also replace gov. springs so that it will wind out to 3300 rpm instead of what, 25 or 2800? I just need to get my injectors tested then I am going to jack her up a bit 'cause she could certainly use it. John

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Make sure you get a turbo that coinsides with the hp level that you plan on running. I didnt say that you can turn the pump itself up enuf to make 600hp. I know it's in there, I was mentioning that for a DT466. It takes some custom injectors to get there, plus a few pump parts & turbo, but it's relatively cheap to do. Not sure a 6.6 would last too long past 400hp, they arent that tuff internally. The basic fuel adjustments(as noted by the link in my signature) will only get you about 20hp in a 6.6

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7