Worried about my 7.3 IDIT's health

Steven Sochalski

Reaction score
Agree on the Turbo. I dropped over to Russ Repair's website and dropped a note to look into getting it done. I have a little north of 240k miles on the engine, bought the truck with about 160k miles on it. I have no idea when the Banks Turbo was put on it so not sure how many miles are on it. I'm hoping Russ might have one sitting on the shelf so we can "exchange" and minimize down time.

Makes me fell a little better that you hear that same "knock". Mine is a factory turbo motor too, however the previous owner put the Banks Sidewinder on it in place of the factory turbo. I feel the same about "diving me crazy... but never loud enough to find."
I cannot help with the other questions, but mine has a similar light knock sound. Like a light tap sound. I can hear it from the driver side block near the bell housing, occasionally inside the cab if I listen hard. From the front at certain angles within 6 ft of the truck when squatting. The local shop as well as a local IDI guy told me the same as yours. 'That's a healthy sounding IDI'. I cannot pinpoint it specifically with a stethoscope. I've stopped worrying about it.

I've got a spare motor and would love the excuse (at least to my wife) to spend $ for a fresh rebuild. I can envision studs, intercooler and 15+ psi. Unfortunately two cars for approaching driving age kids and daughters braces put a hold on that. Since I pay cash and don't use credit, it's only a dream for now.

Mine is a 90 NA with an ATS 093 aftermarket kit, larger exhaust housing and psd downpipe and v band on the turbo outlet. I've adjusted the waste gate to 10 psi under load. I also pull a 7k gooseneck horse trailer with two 1k horses.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wonder if you guys are hearing the "intake pulse" as I call it. These engines do make a noise that comes out of the intake and it could be mistaken for a knock. If you have the chance to hear a N/A truck running, see if you can listen to it with the air cleaner lid off and see if that's the noise that you're hearing.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot help with the other questions, but mine has a similar light knock sound. Like a light tap sound. I can hear it from the driver side block near the bell housing, occasionally inside the cab if I listen hard. From the front at certain angles within 6 ft of the truck when squatting. The local shop as well as a local IDI guy told me the same as yours. 'That's a healthy sounding IDI'. I cannot pinpoint it specifically with a stethoscope. I've stopped worrying about it.

I've got a spare motor and would love the excuse (at least to my wife) to spend $ for a fresh rebuild. I can envision studs, intercooler and 15+ psi. Unfortunately two cars for approaching driving age kids and daughters braces put a hold on that. Since I pay cash and don't use credit, it's only a dream for now.

Mine is a 90 NA with an ATS 093 aftermarket kit, larger exhaust housing and psd downpipe and v band on the turbo outlet. I've adjusted the waste gate to 10 psi under load. I also pull a 7k gooseneck horse trailer with two 1k horses.
I've started keeping my eyes open for a 7.3 IDIT that I can start rebuilding on the side as I have time and money.... found two listed in junk yards... but over 500 miles away and the junk yards are not responding to their own listing...

If anyone knows of a rebuildable IDIT within some sane distance of Houston, TX, I would love to know about it.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fret just yet. Blackstone has been known to goof up a sample ocasionally. Have then rerun it.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't fret just yet. Blackstone has been known to goof up a sample ocasionally. Have then rerun it.
Same metals were high two test in a row... however I did a lot more heavy towing during the tine frame then I had in a long time. I'll be sending in a new sample soon, this round with very little towing so hopefully will see a drop.