My first tow

jiggiwdit

Reaction score
I finally hooked something to the back of the truck for the first time. Granted it was just my ice shanty that I just built out of a pop up camper. Came out pretty cool I must say.

I figure it probably weighs 800 to 1000lbs. Pretty easy for a diesel truck right?
WRONG!! My truck seemed like it was on its knees.

My truck runs, drives and starts beautifully even sub zero.

What do you think is going on? Should have been a walk in the park right?

Lee

sassyrel

Reaction score
I finally hooked something to the back of the truck for the first time. Granted it was just my ice shanty that I just built out of a pop up camper. Came out pretty cool I must say.

I figure it probably weighs 800 to 1000lbs. Pretty easy for a diesel truck right?

Lee

ever had it properly timed??? can make a big difference!!!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the timing. That reall isn't that much weight. How much frontal area does the trailer have?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lee

Is it on wheels or ski's. How about a pix.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice shanty! It would make a great hunting shack too.

The diesel coming out of the lift pump could be it. If there is not enough fuel, it will pull itself, but maybe not much else. There could be other issues as well, but start there. Putting in a new mechanical pump can be a PITA, but I used studs and they helped. Next time I plan on going electric if anything to build pressure before I start the engine.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a nice shanty! It would make a great hunting shack too.

The diesel coming out of the lift pump could be it. If there is not enough fuel, it will pull itself, but maybe not much else. There could be other issues as well, but start there. Putting in a new mechanical pump can be a PITA, but I used studs and they helped. Next time I plan on going electric if anything to build pressure before I start the engine.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weight of your shanty probably isn't as much of a factor as the aerodynamics of it. When I tow my 5er, it pulls good and hard up until about 35-40 mph, and then it feels like it's dragging a parachute behind it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the history of your fuel system?

You certainly have an issue with the lift pump, but I'm wondering how old your IP and injectors are? It may be time to renew them...