My Big Blue Ox build....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also the VW IDI's don't have a lift pump. The Bosch IP pulls from the tank, through the water separator and filter. I think the reason the trucks get a lift pump is the distance the fuel has to travel. Both horizontal and vertical. My Jetta is maybe 6 feet from tank to pump and only a few inches vertical between the tank and pump. On a truck the front tank is at least 10 feet from the IP and maybe 12 to 18 inches vertical. The rear tank on a Crew Cab is a long way from the IP.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot pull a load just light foot on skinny pedal or it bogs down...

I was on a pretty low slope area w a 7 min drive to work...

My white rhino had a mr gasket elec fuel pump but it wasnt all that good of a lift pump.

This truck is do for makeover or replacement...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing i forgot to memtion

The old lift pump had an unusual legth say 3 or 4 feet of rubber line to it....thought it was peculiar.

However quite ingenious..i removed vacuum pump lifted lift pump up to rad tank level...swapped fuel line to new pump and dropped down to hole.....spilled narry a drop...no self siphoning goin on..was quite a nifty way to do it.

Just sayin adding enough rubber line makes it a much more pleasant repair.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent few bucks bought leak seal crapola for AC and some refrigerent kit...

Loaded it up and I now have working AC....feeling the love I am!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to check your AC oil charge while you're at it. Usually when refrigerant leaks out, much of the oil goes with it.
I did add oil last recharge n silly adapter Comes w kit says ok....

Need swap to 3 g Alt now.....grrrrr.....get my charge rate up AC drops it NOW like ****....grrr

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove 3 hrs today in heat n slow traffic...AC ROCKS.....love having AC for Karma n I....it was so nice...stamdstill traffic....nice n cool.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the ole pig is getting more difficult to start much more..its getting tired....so either fix E4OD in black mamba or swap its engine into this blue ox.

That aside short term...swapped in some ever so slightly used front pads....I was trying different pads for best braking....ones in truck grabbed well and I installed new....feel I got my $ worth on this set...so back to my other set for while till rebuild D60 in couple mo. Paper thin pad is from pass side;
You must be registered for see images attach
piston side of caliper....eek

AC still blowing cold air and its a real treat I tell ya....drove home from work friday w trailer in tow and bumper to bumper traffic and so nice dog n I in complete comfort....I know it wasnt best solution stop leak n all but ***...it works!

Just chillin now w cold one...

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy should be by soon w core plug tool.

Looking like going to do quick swap of the remanned 7.3 into truck....see if can locate some 0.010 or 0.020 over turbo pistons for it for a later build.....need a runner for now and rather NOT tear engine out of black truck as it does move under its own power still.

Black trucks E4OD is problematic however I know it was working correctly before previous owner effed driveshafts.

Back to Blue Ox...so ya swap in my reman and add turbo currently in truck and hopefully get more n 6psi boost...intake hat leaks where turbo slips in ...me thinks the O ring is hardened n not sealing well.

More to come.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered 3 sets of 7 core plugs today.....seeing as I cannot find my set I currently have...think lent em out so buddy could repair his blown plug.

I will not be without again.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided time do some body work....found on of my repair panels...and cut some more out.

The curved silver one is so I can weld in a dimple that allows clearance of down pipe at the cab seam ...hope to be able cut it out when I pull engine..

All sheet metal is taken from old trucks dead n being scrapped....should work well I hope as it is original metal.

I cut section outta the box of a scrap truck just now. Sure hope I can make this stuff work as planned...if it works I may do more to brown bruin cab.

The red panel will be cut and fit w seam behind body belt trim so I can cover any irregularities that may crop up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And so begins the journey into rust repairs....focussing solely on my cab for now as hoping to replace box.

Just got done drivers side as far as I plan for now....found out no weldable primer in stock. Thus after weekend I will work on installing patches and such.

For now here is my progress...after lunch I will start pass side.

From outlined cut....to....

....roughly sized repair panel.

No sense going further without primer sealer to mitigate further rust issues.

Thanks for looking...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided do pass side...it turns out to be a smaller outer patch panel required but larger internal patch...

This is where it stands now....waiting on primer n hardener cream before I go further....thankfully it is super dry n warm here so no issues like this.

More to come....

Thanks for looking

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flipped over to this truck today....lol

Started patchin inner rust on pass side amd getting outter panel near finish shape/size.

So the inner panel first...not fond of flux core but ***...it works....LOL

Here the outter panel is near perfect...time to leave well enough alone and call it a day for heat....LOL...TOMORROW i will do Drivers side

If these turn out as good as I hope the Black Mamba is next...

Thanks for looking