My 6.9 is back on the road!

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after a nearly 2 year nap, I drug my IDI out of the snowbank last night, have another failed getrag in the Dodge...
I'm going to have to start paying the Ford pretty soon, it has far outlived owing me anything, I'm still extremely impressed with it's reliability, especially considering it was a $300 purchase in 2005. Tossed some new batteries in it, installed a new starter cable, let the fuel pump run and bled the filter, 15 seconds of glows(was -20C when I fired it up, not plugged in...) and it lit off like it had been running the day before, and it hadn't run since I last moved it in September.
Other than the advance sticking in the IP on the way back to idle, it still runs and drives like the day I parked it, I do miss the turbo on it, and it's REALLY loud in the cab compared to the Dodge and the 88 7.3 we have here at work, but, it is a gasser cab...
I'm actually tempted to swap out the doors and toss another bed on it as a reward, I forgot how much I enjoy driving the 'ol girl. A ZF and some sound deadener would be a nice touch, but, I'm really happy that it's still as good a truck as it always was.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
See...there's something about these old IDI's. They arent speed demons, but if you do some maintainance they wont let you down ;Sweet

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Gotta love the IDI! My Peugeot is the same way, I have plenty of newer and nicer cars, but that gets up and goes every morning, I replaced all the engine accessories when I got it 3 years ago and haven't touched it since!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! It sounds like she made you proud today. Gotta love these ol IDI's.

Enjoy you second honeymoon with her.:D

Heath.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I drive it, the more I wonder why I ever parked the 'ol girl... It's not pretty, but I sure do like it...
Only been driving it 4 days, and gears are turning in my head already....
I have the Flareside bed from the truck I robbed the cab for it from still, I have a 3.55 geared D60 kicking around, a buddy of mine has a ZF in his garage that needs gone through(no reverse) and I still have the parallel twin turbo idea in my head....
You'd think a guy with 2 spare Cummins engines wouldn't even have interest in doing anything with an IDI, but, I basically built the truck from scratch and it has never, ever made me walk. It's the only vehicle I have that I personify.... that's saying alot, considering I've had my 460 truck in various forms since 1998...

On another note, the Wellman dual coil glows I put in it in the fall of 2006 are still 100% functional, and I have been known to burn them past 30 seconds in real cold stuff, and on average I run them 12-15.