Motorcraft Coolant

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start I made it a mission to find the correct coolant I can buy for this truck. Fleetguard I cant really get a straight answer from so I choose to just go with what is recommended by the SCA to be used and I chose the VC8. Motorcraft® Premium Antifreeze/Coolant is what is req by ford per the VC-8 bottle (Motorcraft® Diesel Engine Cooling System Additive) coolant meeting Ford ESE-M97B44-A standard. I cant find what this standard is...?? Im just wondering if this is one of the few safe coolants to run in the IDI with the motorcraft SCA. This is what Ford said is required for the IDI. I just want to make sure its safe to use this coolant in the motor before i wast money on it.. From what I can find its the conventional Ethylene glycol green coolant with no SCA. Thanks for any help.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the VC8. Motorcraft® Premium Antifreeze/Coolant is what is req by ford per the VC-8 bottle (Motorcraft® Diesel Engine Cooling System Additive) coolant meeting Ford ESE-M97B44-A standard. I cant find what this standard is..

That is the FORD STANDARD. Standard means, (Motorcraft® Premium Antifreeze/Coolant) is what is used in most all Ford motors, Gas and Diesel, the VC8 is the additive for Diesel Engines.
You cannot MIX VC8 with DSCA4, if you would change coolant, you have to flush the system.

As far as I know FleetGuard W/SCA is used in Navistar Diesel engines.

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
VC-5 is the number for Ford green coolant.

Chase

I think the part number changed??

As for the fleet guard they suck when it comes to costumer service sucks here in south fl. I'll try again. That is what I would like to use is the fleet guard. 25.00 a gal.... ***.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my fleetCHARGE at tractor supply. 16 bucks a gallon if I remember right. Bought 4 gallons and 4 gallons of distiller water. I have one gallon mixed 50/50 left over after filling up.

A lot of oreilly auto parts stors keep it in stock, but it is usually back in the rear of the store. You have to ask for it, and then ask again when they look at you funny.

helidiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so after two people recommended the fleet charge I looked into it. I like what I see. I will do some more research and post my feed back. Thank you.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I
A lot of oreilly auto parts stors keep it in stock, but it is usually back in the rear of the store. You have to ask for it, and then ask again when they look at you funny.

|stupid this is exactly what happened to me. went on line said my local store had it in stock. Went and asked, the counter jockey just looked at me blankly. Said he had never heard of it. Told him it said it was in stock, he didnt, believe me, checked his computer, spent 10 minutes in the back looking for it, found it. When he brought it out it was covered in a thick layer of dust, had not been touched in years. The only problem is they only had the premixed stuff which is expensive. I needed it that day so i bought it, but from now on i will order it ahead of time so i dont have to spend the extra. Great stuff, 30,*** miles on it, still looks new. I should probably check the scas soon just to double check.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the part number changed??

As for the fleet guard they suck when it comes to costumer service sucks here in south fl. I'll try again. That is what I would like to use is the fleet guard. 25.00 a gal.... ***.

Nope used a couple gallons of it a week or two ago. Still green , still vc-5.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Any low silicate conventional green will work with the VC-8. Any good parts store should have it to.

Just stay away from the "all makes all models" extended life green coolants such as Prestone.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any low silicate conventional green will work with the VC-8. Any good parts store should have it to.

Just stay away from the "all makes all models" extended life green coolants such as Prestone.

Napa's "normal" coolant that doesn't say anything interesting on the front is a low-silicate ethylene glycol coolant, which is what is specified.