More GP Questions

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i tested all my glow plugs and they tested fine but im still haveing the hard start where do i start diagnosing
what do i do now thanks for the help guys

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David is right about using the Berus for the factory controller. My point is I think its not really a very good design, so I'd either take the opportunity to upgrade to a 7.3 style system with the Beru ZD9s or use an old 12V style plug with a manual toggle. The AC Delco number was 7G I think for the slow glow 12V plugs you want. Type in the 1978 Delta 88 Olds with the 5.7 diesel. It would be hard to burn those out with 12V going to them. Its the 12v going to the 6V plugs that burns them out, especially the 83-86 system which uses a latching relay and can leave those plugs on for a lot longer than those 10 seconds that it should if it sticks.

We got a full set of those AC Delco glowplugs in my buddy's '86 F250, they don't seem to be doing much of anything - we left them on for minutes one time, and all we achieved was a melted glowplug relay. We put the GM-specific relay in, as tis much heavier duty than the stock one, it don't melt now but it still don't wanna start too well... Jake just got 5 new ZD1s for dirt cheap, once we find another 3 of those we're swapping them in and calling it a day.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a voltmeter on one of your glow plug connections (you have to finagle a way to do it so that the glow plug is still connected) and watch the voltage when the relay kicks in. It should start around 7 volts and begin climbing. If it is a lot lower than that, then your relay is faulty. One thing we discovered at the last IDI Weekend, was aftermarket relays which look identical to stock Motorcraft ones are not as well made and fail early.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online