Moms Crew Cab too DANGEROUS to Drive. Help!

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Now this might sound a little dubd but here goes.

When I did my D60 swap, I found my truck to loose in the front. It seemed to wander and weave so I blamed it on a bad ball joint. So I replaced ALL the steering gear and all 4 ball joints. It seemed a little better, but not fixed.

When I put the 4" blocks under the rear to match the height gain from the F350 front springs, it COMPLETELY went away.

What is the carrier bearing like? Is the rubber all gone, bearing inside bad? This sounds like a driveline issue. When I had my shaft shortened it was so bad it wasn't funny!!! Don't just stop at the front end, check EVERYTHING. What are the rear wheel bearings like?
Changed the caster angle;Sweet

All dana 60's have adjustable camber and caster whether balljoint or kingpin style. They just dont know the parts exist. I got a kit from NAPA to change the caster on a kingpin 60 in my 90 to get rid of death wobble. It works;Sweet
Ken

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mel i had you till that funny word after violent but i agree to check driveline but i dought thats it ive had u joints go out wheel bearings epic fail but that all allowed you to steer still
box id throw out it would have play in the wheel and that bad a lot of play

DragRag

Reaction score
No pedestal. Just strongly voicing my opinion. I have worked on more of these trucks then you will drive in lifetime.

And that is a FACT

lol, next you will want to tell me how long your peter is. Settle down fella, you have your opinions, and I have my experiences. Like I said, it's no big deal to me either way. You don't need to try and get in a ******* contest here, I could really care less.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well I fixed this issue today. I jacked the truck up and ran it up through the gears at different speeds, blipped the throttle while in gear etc etc to see if there was any movement in the driveshaft and there was none. What I did notice though was one of the rear tires looked like an egg as it spun up in the air. So I pulled off all of those wheels and tires and swapped them with my brothers old set of wheels and tires and took it for a drive. Every vibration we've ever felt in the truck was gone! It drove so smooth and steady. I didn't feel it pulling to one side or the other either.
So since we've always had a smidge of a vibration in this truck, I'm wondering if 1. one of the wheels is bent or something to start with. 2. one or more of the tires have belts separating in them. At the very least that one tire is junk, and odds are I need to get a whole new set of tires for this thing.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I read the original post and was tempted to comment then, but after reading through 4 pages, I'm disappointed. Several people have alluded to what is obviously a drive train issue to me, and nobody has yet suggested this test. :dunno

Just put the rear axle on jackstands, in a clear place where if it falls off nobody or not thing gets hurt, and run it up to the speed you need to make it do it. This will eliminate ALL the front end parts and result in a clear determination if this is driveline or not. The fact that the dash hops up and down, and your gearshift swings wildly tells me this is not a front end problem. You have orbital weight shift which is causing a violent temporal displacement.

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards driveshafts and U joints.

At 10 MPH, what is the only part of the vehicle spinning fast enough to cause a HUGE vibration. Transmission, Transfer case (if so equiped), drive shafts (U joints, yokes etc) and rearends. Nothing else is spinning with any speed.

Jack 'r up and check for play in the wheel bearings, but I suspect the drivetrain is the issue.

My M5ODR2 in my F150 did some MASSIVE shaking at ANY speed over 25 MPH. I thought it was U joints. Replaced them ALL. Didn't fix it. One night in a blinding snow storm on my way to work...the transmission let go. I replaced it with a new one (Actually how I met BigRigTech, he sold it to me lol) and the vibration was gone. The inside of my old transmission looked like it housed a grenade that exploded :puke:

I am voting drivetrain!!!!

I beat you to it Mel!!!! LOL

It sounds to me as if it's drivetrain too....what else is spinning fast enough to cause a SEVERE shake at 10 MPH?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I fixed this issue today. I jacked the truck up and ran it up through the gears at different speeds, blipped the throttle while in gear etc etc to see if there was any movement in the driveshaft and there was none. What I did notice though was one of the rear tires looked like an egg as it spun up in the air. So I pulled off all of those wheels and tires and swapped them with my brothers old set of wheels and tires and took it for a drive. Every vibration we've ever felt in the truck was gone! It drove so smooth and steady. I didn't feel it pulling to one side or the other either.
So since we've always had a smidge of a vibration in this truck, I'm wondering if 1. one of the wheels is bent or something to start with. 2. one or more of the tires have belts separating in them. At the very least that one tire is junk, and odds are I need to get a whole new set of tires for this thing.

I'd say you came very close to a blowout on the tire. Had the same thing happen to me a while back when I put a low miles tire (OF UNKNOWN AGE!cookoo) on the front of my truck. Lasted for about 1.5 hours at freeway speed before I clued into how bad the steering wheel was shaking. That incident made my fork out the cash for the set of brand new toyos I'm running now.

I've heard that as a general rule any tires older than 6 years are past their "best before" date regardless of tread wear (some one correct me if that is off).

Seriously, leave that tire lying around for a few weeks at rated pressure and I bet the rubber will peel off around the area of the failed belt. Thats what mine did.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
^^^ (Goofy) Apparently that egg shaped wheel spinning x rpm for 10mph was enough.

I fixed it, as i said in my last post.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
David,
Whats really been ******* me off lately with tires and tire shops around here is that they sell us 4-5 year old tires as NEW tires, thats BS! These were $180/ea tires and are good name brand BF Goodrich All Terrain TA's. They only lasted 4 months before showing cracks between the tread blocks. What kind of **** is that?
I personally wont buy from that tire dealer anymore, I go to another store, and I've been buying Goodyears lately as well. I have no complaints about my tires, only complaint I have is about the new shop. They NEVER get the tires in the time period they say they will, and they have a real problem with putting the correct caster on any of my vehicles.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad you got it and it was something very simple

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
really happy you found it. But see post #2. 90% of the NVH i get in the shop are TIRE related.

Hence why i asked seperated belt... Not bad to jack the truck up in the air and give the front end a shake to see whats loose and check the tires. Its funny you say you can't get "new" tires around you. personally when i order tires, i never accept anything older than 1 year via DOT stamp.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
^^^ (Goofy) Apparently that egg shaped wheel spinning x rpm for 10mph was enough.

I fixed it, as i said in my last post.

That's NUTS man! I am glad you found it before it decided to let go! I just noticed this week that I am starting to develop a shake at highway speeds that wasn't there before....if it gets worse I know what I will be looking at first! I got Goodyears on though, but that don't mean nothin'.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You owe me two long islands over at OJ's when you get out here in a couple of months.:D;Sweet