Modded my factory 94 turbo

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
The nickel rods are not all that hard to weld with and i have had many people tell me that anything but nickel rods wil break loose. you can buy the little bitty 1/16 th rods and the ones i have say ni,cr, fe 2 i believe. The hardest part of welding with them is that if the metal gets red hot you have to stop, let it cool and chip the flux. just move real quick with a small bead and that problem is solved.

zpd307

Reaction score
is that regular aluminized steel? i posted awhile ago on a guy who is doing the same thing to svo mustang exhaust housings, except he is using stainless steel.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's aluminized. I have a pic of the down pipe I'll post up soon.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pics. Wrapped the pipes and cut off the restrictive 2.25 opening on the turbo elbow. Did a bit of grinding and slipped a 3 inch pipe in and welded it tight.

Say how much wrap in length did you use and what width of wrap was it for all your pipes so far?

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 roll of 50ft long, 2 inch wide. Still had some left over after that pic.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really good. No cracks or anything. But it's only been on the road for a week.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Just curious as to how well this mod is holding up. Has the weld survived all the heat cycles? If it's working I'd love to do this on my truck.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I am thinking of this stuff made from Lava rock. http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sc&cid=8

That is the stuff I invested in. You can get it at a good price on ebay for about $52. Better that than $80 from Napa for the same brand. I just need to put it on once my exhaust leak is fixed.

Oh and the complaints about ATS in the above posts in this thread is why I opted to go with a used Hypermax kit. The customer support from Hypermax is outstanding and I think they are the only company that isn't phasing out their kits.

w4dsb

Reaction score
the nickel rods are the cats meow on cast, we preheat and use bare nickel rods and a tig welder on cast iron pump bodies (would work great here as well) and it makes a near perfect weld .
no slag to deal with either!

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. Been a little over a year, pulled the 4 place trailer loaded and the travel trailer quite a bit. And it's my daily driver. No problems with the welded joint so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the timely update. Glad the weld is holding up too. Nice to see something outside the box working out too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online