Modded my factory 94 turbo

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pics. Wrapped the pipes and cut off the restrictive 2.25 opening on the turbo elbow. Did a bit of grinding and slipped a 3 inch pipe in and welded it tight.

Attachments

• HPIM0740.JPG
    HPIM0740.JPG
    902.1 KB · Views: 257
  • HPIM0741.JPG
    HPIM0741.JPG
    647.2 KB · Views: 119
  • HPIM0743.JPG
    HPIM0743.JPG
    734.9 KB · Views: 87
  • HPIM0744.JPG
    HPIM0744.JPG
    598.4 KB · Views: 87
  • HPIM0745.JPG
    HPIM0745.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 74
  • HPIM0746.JPG
    HPIM0746.JPG
    522.1 KB · Views: 144

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job, you need to provide that service if it holds together.;Sweet;Sweet A nice down pipe and a band clamp and good to go.:D

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had an aftermarket downpipe on it but it was only 2.75 OD. Think it was a Banks as it has a complete banks exhaust on it. Bought a 3" MBRP downpipe for a Powerstroke off of ebay. I also bought a 5 bolt flange with a 3" vband end welded on but it is for the small body Garretts. I can't find a large body flange with internal wastegate and 3" band. Would be sweet to remove the factory elbow and install a Powerstroke downpipe with one of those if someone made one.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
looks nice, the only thing i would be worried about is the regular metal being welded to the cast. i would be worried about it cracking, i would be happy if i was wrong that would be a nice set up.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've welded to cast many times. Suspension brackets onto differentials, axle tubes to diffs, broken off mounting ears, etc. Only thing I'm curious about is the heat cycles this will see. I've got an idea on how to work around that too. We'll see how this holds up.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
That is awesome man! Only thing is I don't like the slip type down pipes. I much rather prefer the v-band clamp pipes, just me, I dont like the idea of my exhaust hanging up there by nothing but gods graces. I dont have much room to talk though, my brown truck is running the 088 system and that has the slip type dp molded into the housing, nothing to do but use it. lol
You said you had the nice banks down pipe on you truck, my moms CC has one and I want another one for my brothers truck. Is it any good? What would you want for it? I'm just trying to get some sort of exhaust on my brothers truck, right now there's nothing on it and its loud as hell.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, very nice, I checked locally to have a 3+" downpipe outlet cast and no go, not interested what so ever and it's a small foundry too....:( I like what you have done, just not sure bout that tubing to cast weld, perhaps some other thicker tubing may have been a more suitable option. Ahhh...what do I know....not much about welding thats for sure!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice weld job.. I believe that casting is made of cast steel and not cast iron. Cast steel will take a weld much better than cast iron will. Good to see someone thinking outside the norms too. That keeps it interesting...;Sweet

sassyrel

Reaction score
and if it is cast iron--welding it a bit at a time--with nickel rod--and it would last near forever--but then id make the new pipe out of schedule 80--and machine it to fit--at the time--on my 94--i just got the ats parts--and have never had a problem with the dp--but now you cant get the parts???

sassyrel

Reaction score
I'm not paying 250-350$ for an elbow.

HEYYYYYYYYY,not knocking what your doing--im saying--someone stated--you cant get the parts that i did from ats no more???--nothing on you--kay?? and orig--from ats--it was a bigger turbine hsg,the dp hsg,and the dp--they sold it as a three piece mod--also--when i did it--i had less than 1 week-to get ready--to go get a tractor in wv--

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took no offence. On my old truck they were very poor in the cust. service dept. As in down right rude. I'll never give them another dime. They are the only ones with the elbow and they can charge what they want. The housing they sell is the same one installed on later factory turbos I understand. All in all that's a 7-800$ upgrade that someone that's handy can duplicate for next to nothing. That's why I'm posting this. Again no offence taken.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you be willing to do that to another one?

Ive got a stock kit that Im missing the down pipe for. Ive been debating trying to find a stock dp to run for know or finding someone to do what you did.

dansvan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pics installed back on the turbo.

gonecrazyi - let me get this one done with a downpipe made and try it out. I would hate to do one for you and find out it needed tweeking. Give me a week or so and if you still need it contact me then.

Attachments

• HPIM0748.JPG
    HPIM0748.JPG
    809.3 KB · Views: 111
  • HPIM0747.JPG
    HPIM0747.JPG
    848.5 KB · Views: 108

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, sounds good. I know someone else who has done it and he said its lasted for around 2 yrs. He used 3.5 in galvanized pipe when he did his.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin