mitsubishi starter

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the new style they have to replace the old style of starter? I put one on mine but it won't kick the starter out to catch the flywheel? anyone know what might be causing this? Its my daily driver and been down for three days now please help me

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it doesn't kick out the drive gear, your starter is no good. doesn't matter what model it is, the bendix gear must kick out to engage the flywheel.

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so because it wont kick it out to the flywheel my starter is bad? o'reillys keeps putting it on their tester and it works great just not on my truck?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure they gave you the correct one, IIRC the PS starter will bolt up but doesnt engage

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they gave you the correct one, IIRC the PS starter will bolt up but doesnt engage

More than likely that's the starter they gave him. When mine went bad under warranty they tried to give me the so called new style one. I got a redund on the warranty starter and left. Then I went to Advance auto parts and they matched the part number they had was for the right Mitsubishi starter but when they pulled it off the shelf they tried to give me the so called new style one and I had them pull the other one off the shelf for the other number they had and it was the right one so I bought it and left. This one now carries a one year warranty as opposed to the other so called right one which had a limited lifetime warranty. When asking what the limited part meant they said 2 replacements. Which means if the first starter goes bad in a week they will replace it and that counts as one replacement. Say the second starter goes bad in 30 days they will replace it but that's the final replacement.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
word of caution on the advance auto parts warranty.they will replace it twice.but 90 days after the first replacement your on your own with it.so if you had it warrantied once and 91 days after that it dies again,time to shell out full price for the next one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

in other words, make sure the one they sold you has 13 teeth , otherwise , it will kick out on their bench , but on your truck, it will just bang into the flywheel and bounce back and shut off, but it can't engage the teeth because the spacing in the gear teeth is incorrect if they sold you one for a powerstroke, which if you have a 7.3 it is very likely they may have messed up and done that.

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know there was that much difference after some unkind words from the guys at o'reillys and was told basically he didn't want my business anymore I went to Napa and got the correct starter and truck fired right up!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wow I didn't know there was that much difference after some unkind words from the guys at o'reillys and was told basically he didn't want my business anymore I went to Napa and got the correct starter and truck fired right up!

I'm sure his bosses at corporate headquarters would be very interested in hearing about his disinterest in figuring out how to properly look up the part for your truck, especially after being told what the problem is. It;s bad enough you have to do the slugs job for him, then he won't even learn from the mistake.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, call up corporate and report the SOB - remember his salary comes from your money, he's obviously forgotten that fact and so a (not so) friendly reminder should be in order.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Or, be the bigger man, drive the truck to the store and say "Hey...THIS is what I was trying to tell you." and then walk out to your truck, start it up and leave. No need to get butt hurt over pride.

SWS

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea I called up corporate on him got several apologies and a we will take care of this so he will properly handle this next time and I think I have to go in for another part tomorrow so maybe he will see it hahaha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle