Mitsu starter

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ,just got back from advance. Wen't there to get a starter for my 93. I took off one that had a nose cone. The one I got has none. Inside the box a paper said that Mitsu stopped making my starter ( m3t90072 ) and the gave me a ( m8t50171 ) without a nosecone. They said it would work despite the differences. AM I TO TRUST THIS?????:dunno

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they had tht one, but the warrenty is only a year

Well you got the limited lifetime one. Whether or not it will work I don't know If I read correctly someone tried installing one on an IDI like you have and it did not engage the flywheel.

The limited lifetime warranty is two replacements. Say the one you bought does work but goes bad in a few months, you will get it replaced. Then say the one they gave you goes bad after a month. They will replace that one also but that's all the replacements you will get. So essentially you could wind up paying for another starter in less than a year. That is why I took the one year warranty one over the limited lifetime. I also know it works and did not have to find out the hard way whether the one you have will work or not.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that starter is a psd starter, that they have started using on idi's, but It will work with a E4od I know that for sure, but i dont think it will work with any other trans, but you could still try it and see,

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will work, it is not a powerstroke starter, it is the new style with no nosecone.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you got the limited lifetime one. Whether or not it will work I don't know If I read correctly someone tried installing one on an IDI like you have and it did not engage the flywheel.

The limited lifetime warranty is two replacements. Say the one you bought does work but goes bad in a few months, you will get it replaced. Then say the one they gave you goes bad after a month. They will replace that one also but that's all the replacements you will get. So essentially you could wind up paying for another starter in less than a year. That is why I took the one year warranty one over the limited lifetime. I also know it works and did not have to find out the hard way whether the one you have will work or not.

It was 14 dollars more. I guess i will try it

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dyoung, MOST pictures are some stock type not the actual part. I did a part # search and All of them came up as a NON PS starter. The PS was a different number, same picture.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Dyoung, MOST pictures are some stock type not the actual part. I did a part # search and All of them came up as a NON PS starter. The PS was a different number, same picture.

HMMM

well

David85 has one on his truck he said he was told it is the new style starter, i have looked at his pictures and the starter on my psd and they look identical to me:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well what you cant see is the depth of engagement of the gear. one is a lot shorter than the other. When I worked in the electric shop, lots of changes were made to consolidate part numbers, our trucks use the same starter as a lot of industrial cummins apps. and also case, new holland , hyster, perkins. So just cause they look the same there are internal differences.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well heres my experience with advanced starters
all mitsu units
got one lasted 9 months then just quit
took it back they gave me another one
put it in and it lasted a week
i was mad took that back and got the third
the thirds nosecone bushing was missing but i took it and had them order a new one
the fourth came in and they called for me to pick up
i looked it over and got even madder the wire from starter to solenoid was completely corroded through
they offered to order another but i said just swap the good nosecone to the good body
after 15 minutes of why they are not capable of suck a thing i said let me do it and they agreed
i swapped it in their store with their tools
in the whole store knowone was smart enough to do this
then the fourth (hybrid one) went about 6 months later
i called to have them hold it and the guy said he wont replace it because i go through them too fast
this made me mad i was not warned at any point of this new policy as he called it
i explained how it has been their fault every time etc. he said a few not appropriate words and hung up
i drove down and demanded to have it replaced one more time
he finally gave in
a few days later i reported him to his boss and havnt seen him since
but this fifth lasted 2 months before i replaced it with one from a&a auto parts
then the a&a one went a few days ago as i learned they have the same rebuilder go figure
i finally cashed out the 140 for a napa one and well see how long it lasts even though the a&a one is a lifetime warrenty its not worth replacing every 2 months
advanced did refund my money plus the core charge for a and a but that was the store manager who did that
one good thing is each time the starter went out i had a hard time getting it to start and the interstate batteries held up through that and a ton of other abuse

now for the nipo unit (no nose one)
a starter guy i talked to in my area said this
the nipo unit is not designed for these trucks and has never been used in a stock app on these motors it sits to close to the block and over heats
also has a lower speed than the mitsu one which will make hard starts harder
plus the depth the drive gear goes is 1/4 inch too far so if you do go with it shim it out

also note he mentioned the mitsu style units were duplicated by denso for a while and a lot are out there so if you buy a mitsu unit look for 4 phillips screws on the body holding the windings and the nose cone will have the mitsubishi 3 triangle logo cast into it
if you have both those it will be a good unit

now this new one will come off one day soon for a good coat of paint and dielectric grease and it will get a heat sheild too

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I been using a nipo unit for a little while so far so good, but im going on vacation today so i got a brand new mitzu behind the seat just in case