Mitsu 2.3L turbo diesel...info?

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
250 tq @ 1500 rpm?

motor in it weighs 440#, wheel base is also 1/2 the p/u's.
I stopped by to see if there's some kinda "ball parkin" that can B done w/
diesel's tq to displacement ratio so I can zero in on weight (of vehicle) to power formulas that fit my need...
I've seen a 4bt in a bronk and read a good bit on the mod. Not 4 me. Folks here have convinced me the '80s nissan, isusue & mitsu in the chevette, Luv, ranger etc probably would not due. I wuz lookin @ the tq & it seemed alright (80 - 90 hp seemed odd cuz the 170 gasser in it is about the same). Current VW 1.something LT would hafta B revved up too high as well.

Mazda diesel

Reaction score
Hey Just Saw this thread and thought I would comment
I have a 87' Mazda B2600 4x4 that I put Mitsubishi 2.3 turbo diesel from an 84' mighty max and it worked pretty good it had more torque than the stock 2.6 liter that came in the truck ( not to hard ;)) But, I will say that it wasn't a power house :>) You can't pull much of a trailer with it ( don't ask me how I know I started my engine on fire trying :( )

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder why the older smaller motor had more stuff than the 2.6? Too bad they weren't dynoed for comparison...

Mazda diesel

Reaction score
I looked up the hp & torque of both and the 2.6 actually is supposed to have more of both but mine had some problems (junk carb & timing off & ???)
I dont know much about the ramcharger but, if you could find a Nissan or Mercedes 5 or 6 cyl. those would probably work.
I have a Nissan that has a 2.8 liter 6 cylinder diesel I'm planning on that one going in my Jeep Comanche (see the thread in the diesel conversion forum)

Mazda diesel

Reaction score
I looked up the hp & torque of both and the 2.6 actually is supposed to have more of both but mine had some problems (junk carb & timing off & ???)
I dont know much about the ramcharger but, if you could find a Nissan or Mercedes 5 or 6 cyl. those would probably work.
I have a Nissan that has a 2.8 liter 6 cylinder diesel I'm planning on that one going in my Jeep Comanche (see the thread in the diesel conversion forum)

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it as a 4 cyl but weighs 300 lb too much ("truck" is only 3,300 lb, I think) & the izuzu has 2 cyl too many...
Some (not experts) say the 5 cyl MB is a lill doggie for off rd work (great for the rd &/or veg oil conversion).

I'm learnin high 100s tq may B what I seek, but still I'm from the gasser world so aint positive.